We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lima Hotel Safety

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Lima Hotel Safety

Hi,

I'm going on a school trip to Peru, and I will be spending time in Lima. I'm worried to bring my computer. It's very important to my trip experience and it's imperative that I am able bring it, to take notes on the day and manage my photos and such. Safety could be a problem, though.

Now on to the question. In the nicer hotels, (where I will be staying) is it safe to leave my computer in a safe, and would it be too risky to hide it elsewhere in my hotel room, such as under the bed?

Thanks again for your time.

Edited: 4:22 pm, March 01, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lima Hotel Safety

If I feel safe enough to stay at a hotel then I would feel comfortable leaving me laptop in a locked safe. I would not leave it out or "hidden" elsewhere in the room.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lima Hotel Safety

Under the bed is the first place people look into. Not a good idea, if your room does not have a safe, you can leave it at the hotel safe

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lima Hotel Safety

I meant to say under the mattress, sorry.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lima Hotel Safety

good question, if u have the time the front desk usually has lockable boxes for syorage in the front desk area, but cumbersome to get to, we did that in london

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lima Hotel Safety

It's a bad idea to leave nice electronics in a hotel room anywhere in the world unless there's a safe to put it in. Email the hotel you choose if they have a safe. Most have safes at the front desk if they don't have in room safes.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,287 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lima Hotel Safety

Most hotels now offer room safes, but not all of them will be the size to fit a computer.

You can lock it inside your bag.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
14,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lima Hotel Safety

One other suggestion, bring a separate portable USB drive and back your files up onto the USB drive each night. Portable USB drives are dirt cheap these days. You can carry the USB drive with you so even if the laptop is stolen, at least you don't lose your data.

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lima Hotel Safety

If you are staying in a good hotel, don't worry! leave it wherever you want! or if you want to feel more confident, ask for a safe!

Canada
Level Contributor
4,831 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lima Hotel Safety

I would not leave it wherever you want even in a 5 star hotel! If it doesn't fit in the safe, ask the front desk to use one of their larger safes. If neither of these options are available, lock it in your suitcase.

10. Re: Lima Hotel Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 06, 2015