We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top-end shopping in Lima???

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
louisville, ky
Level Contributor
129 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Top-end shopping in Lima???

Is there any top-end shopping in Lima?

Like, Versace, Prada, Louis Vuitton, etc.

I am taking my mom to Peru, and forcing her to do the Inca Trail (she is not a camper), and staying in modest accomodations throughout the trip. But, our last night in Lima (and Peru) I would like to treat her to the best hotel (Marriott???), a nice dinner (La Rosa Nautica???), and maybe a gift somewhere nice, if I can swing it.

Any suggestions for the perfect night of dinner, drinks (nice club), shopping, and hotel, would be appreciated.

She is turning 60 this year btw.

Maryland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Top-end shopping in Lima???

I think it's fantastic that you and your Mom are doing the Inca Trail. My family of 4 just did it at the beginning of August. I am 47 and my husband is 48 and our 2 girls 11 and 14 hiked with us. Yes it is a bit of work especially the 2nd day but I know you can do it. We were in a group with mostly Europeans in their 20's who were very encouraging and very sweet. We used Peru Treks and their guides were amazing. They really don't rush you. On the second day you actually finish hiking around 1:30 in the afternoon so if you need more time than that you have it and the last guide will stay with you. I don't know how old your Mom is but we saw several people in their late 60's and the ones that had 2 walking sticks did really well. You can buy walking sticks in Ollantaytambo at the beginning of the trail or buy the collapsible ones at home. Write if you have questions. We also loved a restaurant called Siam Thai in Lima- good pisco sours.

louisville, ky
Level Contributor
129 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Top-end shopping in Lima???

Thanks for the response. I am now confident that we will have no problem on the trek.

we are also using Peru Treks, and they seem to really have it together.

did you hire extra porters??? and, if so how much were you able to have them carry.

I just can't imagine wearing th same clothes (shirt at least) after one day of hiking for several hours. I am carrying a large backpack, so I think we should be ok.

How comfortable were the sleeping bags/ matresses??

And, is there anything we should bring on the trek with us that you think if really needed or wish you had taken along.

Oh, and do you think the walking sticks they are selling there are sufficient or should we buy som here in the states?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,287 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Top-end shopping in Lima???

The extra porters will carry all your stuff, but do not bring a very big backpack as it will not be required. Bring a few t-shirts which you can change every day.

The sleeping bags/matresses are as comfortable as in any camp site you would have in the USA.

Check the Peru Inside pages, I have writen an article on the Inca Trail and in it a recommendation of what to bring.

I suggest you bring the real walking sticks, retractable with rubber ends, from the USA. You will not find them here.

14. Re: Top-end shopping in Lima???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:27 am, August 12, 2009