We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My first trip to peru

surrey
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
My first trip to peru

I have 3 weeks to spend in peru in sept/oct 14, I land in limia. I would like to go to MP the nazcar lines and lake T. I don't have a huge budget. I would be very greatful if somebody could help with ideas and tips? Thank you

Trinidad
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: My first trip to peru

Helloy. I as well am planning a trip to Peru. I plan to do the Peru hop tour from lima to Cusco which sounds reasonable. Then machu picchu tour. Then back to lima for a couple days. my only concerns are the altitude. as soon as I reach to Cusco I want to go to a lower altitude like Sacred Valley. problem is from the research I done for the macho picchu tours is that they r picking u up in Cusco. I don't want to chance staying in Cusco to long being asthmatic. another concern is whether to stay in a hostel. they seem reasonable but r they safe?? don't make sense paying a big set of money to stay in a hotel when I will only be there to sleep at night. during the day I'll be out jus need a place to rest my head at night and take a shower.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: My first trip to peru

You don't need a tour to see MP. You can independently book lodging in Ollantaytambo on line and take a train to Aguas Calientes.

Lots of good info on andeantravelweb.com

The guudebook companies also put online info on getting to MP.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: My first trip to peru

If you do want to do a tour to Machu Picchu, it should be no problem staying in the Sacred Valley, Just stay in Ollantaytambo as this is where the tours tend to go through anyway.

Contact a few tour agencies and tell them you will be staying in Ollantaytambo, and be sure to ask for a discount as they won’t be transporting you to and from Cusco (usually around $10.00 USD), here is an agency we usually recommend to our guests http://www.cuscoperuviajes.com/

When you arrive in Cusco, you will have to go by the agency office for a briefing and to pick up your tickets (Train, Bus, and Machu Picchu), after this you can just travel to the Sacred Valley and start your tour with boarding the train in Ollantaytambo, this will probably get you a couple extra hours of sleep as well.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: My first trip to peru

Train tickets purchase direct at www.perurail.com

Bus tickets from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu can be purchased on site at the kiosk, no reservations are needed.

Entry tickets at www.machupicchu.gob.pe

You can ask your lodging in Ollantaytambo to arrange a pickup up for you at the airport if you prefer private transfer, which I recommend since often people feel a bit "off" when they first arrive in Cusco. It is nice to see your name on a placard when you get off the plane.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: My first trip to peru

Hi, Lyle, you have built reputation so I don't think you are representative of http://www.cuscoperuviajes.com/;-)), but the thing is that they don't have "inca trail license" I asked them and they said they work with "Agencia de turismo “K.B Adventures S.A.C." which doesn't have even website. You declared you know some people who were using http://www.cuscoperuviajes.com. Do you know anybody who has a blog and used their service? Is there any other way I could be convinced they are not imposters? thanks.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: My first trip to peru

You are correct in several of your statements marazm44, I am not a representative of, nor do I have any stake in Viajes Cusco. As a smaller agency I know they contract with other agencies for several of their tours and treks, with the Inca trail being one of them, and no I do not know who they contract with.

I am sorry if you feel that they may be "imposters" (whatever that means), what I do know is that they are a good and reasonably priced agency that many of our guests have used without complaint. Please feel free to use any agency you wish, it makes no difference to me. If you would care to read a few reviews, you could always check this out tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294314-d4…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: My first trip to peru

thanks Lyle, I didn't want to be sound offensive way. Their price is surprisingly low and I felt a little suspicious and you are only one person who is very active in TP who recommends them. I just want check all my options before I spend over $1000. Again, I really apologize if I made you upset.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: My first trip to peru

No harm done, and I wasn't really upset, just not sure how best to answer. Yes, I do regularly recommend them as many of our guests have used them, and have been happy with their trips. I would guess that, being a smaller company that is contracting with other small companies is one way in which they keep their costs down. To me price is not always indicative of service; I have always been a budget traveler and have always enjoyed my travels.

I do understand that there are people out there with unlimited budgets, but most people travel on a set budget, my opinion has always been that I prefer to spend less and travel longer; using smaller companies is one way I have found to do this.

When we first arrived in Cusco we met with and talked to many tour agencies, knowing that we would have guests looking for recommendations, not only was Viajes one of the best priced agencies’ that we found, they were one of the only ones that followed up and seemed interested in our business. This is how we first started dealing with them and in all honesty we do get one thing from them, happy guests, which is all that matters to us.

I do understand that there may be an overall difference in service between them and some of the higher priced agencies, but I have not seen any major indicators and every one that has returned has been happy with their trips, which should be all that matters. We actually had 2 different sets of guests that did the Inca trail over New Years. One went with Viajes and another went with another company and paid about $600 pp. Their treks were 2 days apart, but they were here a few days after, so I got to hear them comparing notes over dinner, when the second couple returned. I must say that they both related similar experiences and enjoyed their trips, after their comparison over dinner the couple that used the higher priced agency actually felt they had overpaid, but they were still happy with their trip.

Sorry this was a bit long but I thought I would try and better explain my position. So sorry if my previous post came across as being upset or angry, that was not my intention. You should be comfortable with the agency you choose and if Viajes prices seem too low, and it makes you uncomfortable, then you should definitely choose another company. Either way I hope you enjoy your trip to Peru and Cusco.

19. Re: My first trip to peru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 12, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Lima
Recent Conversations