We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost Immigration Card

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lost Immigration Card

Hi- Does anyone have recent experience of losing their white immigration slip? My husband lost his early in our trip, and when staying in cheap hotels it was not a problem. However we are now staying in a few upmarket hotels and they we have had to pay the 18% tax. We leave on Wednesday and I understand that you can obtain a new slip at the airport. However we would like to avoid paying the tax when we get to our hotel in Lima. Has anyone experience of getting a duplicate copy of the slip from the Offina de migranciones in Lima or another city? is this easy to do? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost Immigration Card

I lost mine twice while traveling. Use yours when paying, if you can.

At the border, I had to pay something like 3$ for one of them and the for the other one, taxi driver went up and got me a replacement (in Tacna).

(Note: Not very recent experiences.)

Edited: 3:15 pm, November 17, 2013
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,660 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost Immigration Card

When checkin in at the hotel, try using your Immigration Card instead.

When leaving the country, be sure you go early to the airport for the paper work.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost Immigration Card

Where are you now? If you are in Cusco you can go to Immigration on Av El Sol from about 9am - 2pm, and request a new one. Go to the second floor and enter the first door in the corridor. You will need to fill out some paperwork and then go and pay some money (about 20 Soles) in the Banco de la Nacion (also on Av El Sol), and then return to immigration and they will give you a new one. Be warned it could take about 2 hours. Check and double check any paperwork they give you to make sure that your passport numbers are correct (and names etc).

If you are in Lima, you can do the same in immigration there. You may find that trying to do it at the airport is a worry you don't need.

You will need to pay 18% tax if you cant present your Andean Immigration Card! Sorry!

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost Immigration Card

Thanks everyone. We went to the office in Puno today and got it sorted relatively painlessly, meaning we don´t have to pay the extra 18% at our current hotel!

Mentioned in this post
Puno
Puno
Puno Region, Peru
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost Immigration Card

HI..Just looking through the messages and I had this problem also..I am in La Perla Callao Lima. I took a bus to the Airport in Callao and had a new one made at immigration for N/C..

Mentioned in this post
Callao
Callao
153 Reviews
Lima, Peru
London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost Immigration Card

Hey there. Do you mean you just went to the airport in your spare time to get a new migration card? Or did you go before you flew out? Going thru same situation now, card must have slipped out of passport at some point whenever someone was checking it. Grr. Flying out of Lima in two days.

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lost Immigration Card

what does the card do?

seems your passport, with entry stamp would prove u r a tourist?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,729 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lost Immigration Card

The passport stamp just proves you entered the country legally. It is not a visa and does not determine your status like tourist, business, resident or whatever. That's what the immigration card does. It is your tourist visa.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lost Immigration Card

Go allowing plenty of time to get a new immigration card! Peru is not well known more for its bureaucracy that its quick and slick systems!

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lost Immigration Card

i ve been to argentina several times and remember filling out a card on entry I gave it to customs, but I dont remember carrying one around while I was there and turning it in when I left.

Get answers to your questions about Lima