We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 quick Lima questions

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
143 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
3 quick Lima questions

Hello,

I'm a frequent traveler, usually to Europe, but am considering a 3 day trip to Lima for my wife's birthday. I have three quick questions, two of which I could no doubt find out easily online, but I always come to tripadvisor first and foremost. As always, I greatly appreciate any assistance.

1. Aside from passport, are any other documents required for travel from the U.S?

2. Is Lima a relatively safe city, friendly or at least not hostile to Americans?

3. Is it possible to take a good day-trip into the Andes without costing an arm and a leg?

Thanks for this and any other advice that may help me make my decision whether to visit Peru or not.

Thanks!!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,369 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 quick Lima questions

1.-You only need yr US passport to come to Peru.Visa is not required.

2.-Lima is a great city. It has excellent hotels and restaurants and museums to visit. Like any big city, you have to take yr precautions but no hostility to foreign or US citizens at all.

3.-3 days is a little to short for a trip to Cusco or any other Andes city, unless you really want to rush it at the risk of getting altitude sickness.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,369 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 quick Lima questions

1.-You only need yr US passport to come to Peru.Visa is not required.

2.-Lima is a great city. It has excellent hotels and restaurants and museums to visit. Like any big city, you have to take yr precautions but no hostility to foreign or US citizens at all.

3.-3 days is a little to short for a trip to Cusco or any other Andes city, unless you really want to rush it at the risk of getting altitude sickness.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
143 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 quick Lima questions

Thanks for the advice, it's looking good so far.

Regarding the day trip, I don't even necessarily need to see a city in the Andes, I just want a view of the legendary peaks. I imagine it's too much to hope for a 1-day trip to a ruins in the mountains? Even if it's just the foothills.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,369 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 quick Lima questions

Contact www.peruchasquitur.com.pe

They can probably arrange for a one day trip to the Nazca lines.You will be driven to Ica (300kms S of Lima) and then catch a small plane to fly you to Nazca and over the lines and rtn to Ica for a drive back to Lima.

I think is around $350 to 400 per person but I guarantee you it will be an excellent and unique experience (unless you are scared of small planes)

You can also visit Pachacamac, which are pre-Inca ruins just outside of Lima.

Delaware
Level Contributor
18 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 quick Lima questions

Lima is a very friendly city. I was very impressed with how friendly the people are, especially if you can speak a little spanish.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 quick Lima questions

1. Just a passport, if you decide to visit the amazon basin area you'll need a yellow fever vaccine.

2. There are some unsafe areas of the city. Miraflores and Barranco are realitively safe neighbourhoods. That's where most tourists stay. As an American, I didn't feel unsafe for being an American when I was there. People generally have the ability to separate the person from the government.

3. I'd think a day trip to the Andes would be far and require a flight.

Have you considered a trip to Cusco instead?

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
143 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 quick Lima questions

Thank you all, it's a lot to think about. I'm considering Cusco now. I'll post here depending.

Thanks!

Lima, Peru
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 quick Lima questions

I think 400 US$ per person is too much. With US$ 200.00 per person (minimum 2 persons) you can do a whole day Nazca tour with overflight.

For US$ 250.00 per person you can include in this tour: one night hotel in Pisco+Tour to the ballestas islands.

Best Regards

9. Re: 3 quick Lima questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:21 am, August 15, 2009