We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airlines

Fort Atkinson
4 posts
Save Topic
Airlines

What is the best airline to use flying from Chicago to Peru??

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airlines

There are usually good deals with LAN, TACA, and TAM from the East coast. Sometimes if you fly to Peru with LAN or TACA you can include a domestic flight for cheap or even for free.

I would just use the booking websites to compare deals.

www.vayama.com

www.expedia.com

www.travelocity.com

www.kayak.com

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,368 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airlines

What's your definition of best?

When we went in may, American had the most options. Chicago is a hub and they have a big South American route network and are partners with LAN.

Pecatonica, Illinois
Level Contributor
447 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airlines

We took American to Miami, then Miami to Lima. The next morning (early) we took LAN to Cusco. The same in reverse for going back to Chicago. We used Advantage points from American and, since LAN is a partner, we could book from Chicago to Cusco for the same price as just Chicago to Lima. Good luck! One thing---be sure to give yourself a little time when flying from Cusco to Lima in case, because of weather, flights are postponed during the day. That would really goof up your return to the US if you couldn't make the connection from Cusco to Lima.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airlines

You can take United to Houston and change to a nonstop flight to Lima.

American Airlines is pretty awful these days.

Edited: 8:06 pm, August 09, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,368 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airlines

They're all about the same. I fly United and American all the time. If it was not for the logos on the plane and the uniforms, I'm not sure I could tell the difference. Pick whichever has the best price/flight schedule for your itinerary. I suspect that will be American. United has a couple options but not as many. American has always focused on South America more than United does. When we looked, United was considerably more expensive than American to fly from Chicago to Peru. Just checking now on a random date in September and United is over $300 more than AA/LAN.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airlines

Since I have miles on both AA and United, a few times I've flown each airline one way on a round trip. To Lima, United (having taken over Continental) was surprisingly good. Same for a recent flight between LAX and DC, United was notably better.

Check for pricing including a leg to Cusco, either airline should be able to include it.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited: 10:57 am, August 10, 2013
7. Re: Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 12, 2014