We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lima for One Night

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Topic
Lima for One Night

Hello, my fiance and I will be traveling to Peru in the middle of April to hike MP. Like most people we are stopping in Lima on our way to Cusco. We arrive Thursday night around 10p into Lima and plan to take an 11a or 12p flight off to Cusco the next day so we have a chance to acclimate to the altitude.

Any suggestions on the best things to do at night in Lima? And best area to stay? We were thinking Miraflores, but unsure if we should stay in a closer district since our stay is so short. Since we get in so late Thursday night we were thinking it would be nice to just take a stroll around and head to an area where we could grab a bite and a few drinks and see the city a little.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!!

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,338 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lima for One Night

Hi Gail,

I'll try to answer as briefly as possible because this is the Spanish side of the TA forum, there is an English version as well, you just have to click on the flag on top of this page.

If you have at least 12 hours you can easily go to Miraflores and spend the night there in a comfortable but not-as-expensive-as-the-airport-hotel place. The area surrounding the airport is not safe and for absolutely no reason you can just stroll around. The only safe area is the airport itself.

I just have one question, why do you think that arriving to Cusco at 11am will help with the altitude? The most common recommendation is to get there with the earliest flight because it helps in case there is a delay or a cancellation. Lima is at sea level so it doesn't help at all to stay the night there for altitude acclimatization purposes. If you are hiking the Inca Trail, you should spend two nights in Cusco before the hike to do better with the altitude. Good luck!

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lima for One Night

Dear Gale,

The first thing you should know is that going from the airport in Callao to Miraflores is around 40 minutes and a taxi there costs at least USD 25.00.

If you still want to do something in Lima, we will suggest to go to La calle de la Pizzas in front of Parque Kennedy in Miraflores. It is safe and it has plenty of bars with good ambience. Around Parque Kennedy you will find plenty of hostels and hotels, some of our best recommendations are Pariwana (either for shared or private rooms) or if you are looking for something more upscale will be Allpa and Habitat (3 stars).

Another place worth to visit is the district of Barranco, which is very traditional and trendy and has a great night life.

Let us know if you have any other question, we will love to help you.

If you want to see any pictures of Lima and some other destinations do not hesitate to find us on Facebook or Twitter.

New York City, New...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lima for One Night

Hola! Thanks so much for your responses and suggestions! We just booked our hotel - Hotel Runcu in Miralfores. Although it's a hike form the airport for such a short time, we still think it's worth it to just go into the city and check it out. We'll save sleep for when we get home from our vacation!!

We probably will arrive in Miraflores around 11. Will restaurants/bars still be open at that time? Any favorites you would suggest?

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lima for One Night

Hello again,

Miraflores is defenetly worth the hike, it´s a very nice district with plenty of bars, restaurants, parks, etc.

Our best recommendation is to go to La calle de las pizzas, it is has a great night life. You can also go to Larcomar from where you will have a beautiful view of the coast and it has clubs that will still be open.

Have a nice trip!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,394 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lima for One Night

You will not get to your hotel before midnight.

So really I do not see a reason to go all the way to Miraflores.

Might as well stay at the airport hotel, have a good rest and take an earlier flight to Cusco.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lima for One Night

+2

London - The city I...
Level Contributor
175 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lima for One Night

It is well worth it to go to Miraflores and stay the night there . After all you are in a holiday and the last thing you want to do is waste a night at the airport . I do it all the time and the advantage of arriving late is there is little or no traffic to say Miraflores you can zip there in about 30 minutes . You can visit the area around Kennedy park and have a coffee , beer or a light salad . I normally go to Cafe De la Paz for a nice salad and people watching in Kennedy Park . In the morning you can walk or jog around the Malacan to Parque Amor .

Lima is a great city and it is a shame that most tourists just use it as a transit to other destinations . There is the historical centre as well as the city centre with government buildings . I always make a point to stay an additional day or two in Lima before going to other cities . After all it is the City Of Kings and WE will be there again on the 28th March 2013 on the way to Cusco & MP. There is a nice clean & safe and new hotel called IBIS which I have discovered recently .

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,394 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lima for One Night

Of course I am all for visiting Lima !

But not from midnight to 8 in the morning ! One night only !

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lima for One Night

It is better to schedule a few days in Lima at the end of your trip. Foolish to spend $50 and an hour or two in traffic if you will be arriving at your hotel after midnight, and need to leave at 6am back to the airport to catch an 8 am flight.

Edited: 1:24 pm, March 26, 2013
10. Re: Lima for One Night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, April 08, 2013