We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meeting at Lima airport

Eindhoven, The...
1 post
Save Topic
Meeting at Lima airport

I'm going to Peru for the first time, landing in Lima. I'm meeting someone the airport and i'm not sure we can keep mobile contact. Can someone please give me advise on a good clear meetingpoint?

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meeting at Lima airport

I think the kiosk where you pay for the parking is good; it sits on an island between the terminal and the parking lot and is easy to find. Anywhere inside the terminal can be a zoo with all the drivers picking up passengers and the taxies looking for fares.

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meeting at Lima airport

EVERYone in Peru pretty much looks alike in a crowd. Ask the person to put on a hat that has a bright color and to have a sign. Be specific that the sign needs to be a full sized sheet of paper/cardstock and have your name written in bold magic marker.

I asked my (now) husband to do this the first time he met me in the airport. Leaving baggage claim for my first time, I would venture to guess that there were easily between 1500 and 2000 people there (mid-morning arrival). No joke. (We fit crowds that size into our auditorium here where I work.) EVERY one of them was short and every one had the same hair color. Everyone looked the same. It was super noisy. The sign that my beloved brought was a 1/4 sheet of paper that he had written my name on with a ball-point pen. I tease him about it mercilessly because it is only by the grace of God that we found each other.

If you can have a colorful hat or whatever, that would also be good. (After that first time, the rule between us is for the picker-upper to have a heluim balloon.)

Inside the airport, also, on the 2nd level is a food court with Dunkin Donuts and a few other places--I haven't ever seen that area crowded and that is another option. I, personally hesitate to wait outside, especially if for some reason, I have to wait for a while.

Watch your stuff--that airport is famous for folks nonchantly walking off with your stuff in a split second. If you sit, you might want to loop the handle(s) of your bags through the leg of the chair to reduce the Sticky Fingers.

There are payphones but I didn't have enough time to figure them out. I'm not sure where you are flying from, but I have found that Ecuadorians and Salvadorians are friendly and will loan you their cell phones for a moment while waiting for customs but I haven't had luck borrowing from any Peruvians ever. I also never got good wi-fi signal in that airport.

Edited to add: Heluim balloons in Houston are 1$ and cheap. In Lima, they are about 10U$. My husband put a regular balloon on a short stick that he waved around like a crazy man the last time I flew that way.

Edited: 11:48 am, February 02, 2013
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meeting at Lima airport

Emily, can someone without a ticket go upstairs to the food court? If so you could meet at Starbucks.

I cant see the kiosk being a good idea. I'd rather wait inside the terminal.

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meeting at Lima airport

Yes, the food court is open and before the checkpoint. This is where we say our goodbyes and boo-hoo's and when I arrive in Lima, I traditionally go upstairs and get a dozen of whatever doughnuts they have that are pretty and take them to the house for my family to enjoy. I can then go take a nap and everyone sees the evidence that I have arrived safely.

The area is pretty open. It is the size of a food court in a small mall. I think there are pizza and sandwiches there, too. When I am paying for my doughnuts, I always pay in US money and then get my change back in soles so that I have a little jingle in my pocket to start my trip.

If you are facing the airport from the parking area, the food court is on the right while baggage is on the left. I belive there are 2 sets of stairs that go up--one right to it and one where you have to walk down to it--your nose will probably tell you which direction to go. To get to the checkpoint, you have to actually pass this area so it is pretty easy. Bonus--the restrooms are western style and usually very clean.

If anyone wants to see a pic, I have a few that I can post a link to later when I get home.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meeting at Lima airport

I can see if the timing is off, the kiosk may not be the best option, but is has worked for us. Once there, all I want to do is get out of the airport, so meeting our ride there puts us that much closer to the car.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,180 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meeting at Lima airport

I think the best meeting place depends on whether you are meeting someone coming in on another flight, or someone driving in from Lima.

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meeting at Lima airport

That is a good point. I could easily be mistaken, but I believe that drivers have to pay to even come up to the curb for passegenger pick-up/drop off.

For us, someone meets me there and then we take a taxi together. My Peruvian family feels that I am too white to ever travel from the airport to the house alone. As long as they want to go out there and help me haul my bags (of stuff for them!) then they are always welcome to do so.

When picking anyone up from our airport here, even though curbside pickup is cheaper for me, I still always park and go in and wait for them. I don't have to hassle with the constant moving traffic and the price isn't very much (normally under 10$.) Plus, after a long flight, having someone to welcome you that cares about you is something that I always appreciate very much. I expect that when I live in Lima (in the future), I will do the same there.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meeting at Lima airport

Good point redhead47, I had just figured they were meeting someone there. My wife and I always meet at the baggage claim when we are on different flights.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meeting at Lima airport

LAp, a German based company runs the airport.

They may have a layout on their web site

http://www.lap.com.pe/lap_portal/ingles/

there is also a spanish version

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meeting at Lima airport

If you go to Starbucks and buy a drink, they will give the password for their own wi-fi that you can access. If you wait there you can then text or email your contact. It is part of the food court area, which in theory has public free wireless but in practice the public wi-fi rarely works there.

I remember the first time I arrived in Lima, the crowd at arrivals point with all the signs was daunting. I would also not have wanted to wait outside.

Get answers to your questions about Lima
Recent Conversations