We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lima Riots

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lima Riots

Read about the lima riots that's been happening this week and I'm scheduled to get there Nov 1 - how bad is it?

Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lima Riots

Hi! Im frpm Lima. Dont worry about it! everything is ok now. That happened in a place call la parada, it isnt near, where are you staying?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lima Riots

That is good news, I hope no one else got hurt, it's terrible when things like that happen! Hotel is near Desamparados Railway Station, I was told it is far from where the riots happened - somewhere in Gamarra Market.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lima Riots

looks like 2000 officers responded. Is it a large "black market" market? Thats a lot of officers.

Edited: 7:29 am, October 30, 2012
Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lima Riots

This is where part of my family works. They are fruit vendors (selling boxes of fresh fruits from the family orchards for other markets to sell individually). It was a bunch of hoodlums destroying and stealing things for their jollies while calling it a protest.

The police acted quickly and it is over.

Personally, I feel relatively safe when in Lima, but I am certainly careful to avoid higher-crime areas. No different than if you are visiting LA, Chicago, Miami, Houston, or NY, right?

Something we don't understand, the police are armed but don't seem to use what they have for self-protection when attacked. My Peruvian husband was asking me why such a difference between here (Houston) versus in Lima. I told him that our police WILL shoot in self defense and on top of that, a significant percentage of our population is always armed legally.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lima Riots

miamiherald.com/2012/10/27/3070344/2-more-de…

several people 4? killed so I guess the police did respond in this case

Edited: 7:56 am, October 30, 2012
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,627 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lima Riots

The problem started on thursday when hired delinquents confronted the police who were not carrying weapons and were overpowered. On Saturday the police regained the control of the area. The area is around the old Parada ( wholesale market) in La Victoria district, not close to any of the sites visited by tourists. Things are back to normal. More than 125 hoodlums have been arrested , many police were injured, included several horses, one of which had to be sacrificed. Four deaths were also reported.

Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lima Riots

I am curious, what has been the follow-up on this? It is so hard to get detailed news from Houston.

(What happened to the criminals? Do they get fines, jail time, work-service, to marinade in the system until later?Was a significant percentage released?)

Thanks.

8. Re: Lima Riots

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 01, 2013