We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arrive in lima at midnight for one day then to climb in cusc

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
36 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
arrive in lima at midnight for one day then to climb in cusc

hi, my husband and I arrive in lima at midnight and stay a full 24 hr and leave to cusco to climb macchu picchu, then return to lima to either rent a car to paracas and nazca or do the bus. Does anyone have any suggestion on where to stay when we arrive to the lima airport so late, do we stay in lima or head out to mira flores? we definetly want to get out and explore while we are there before heading to lima. and then is it safe to rent a car from lima and drive to nazca? thanks

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arrive in lima at midnight for one day then to climb in cusc

You can stay at the Ramada at the airport or pick one of the many hotels recommended on this forum in Miraflores, Barranco or San Isidro areas.

Climb MP ? Do you mean you are doing the Inca Trail ? If not, you will be going by train to Aguas Calientes and then by bus to MP, no climbing is really done unless you are doing the Huayna Picchu.

I strongly recommend you hire a car with driver. Driving in Peru is not a good idea.

Edited: 6:49 am, October 17, 2012
Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
36 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: arrive in lima at midnight for one day then to climb in cusc

The first day we want to be centered around the things to do in Lima ? Any suggestions on hotels moderately priced ?

yes ,we are doing the inca trail and then returning to Lima .

Is it really not safe to drive in Peru?

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: arrive in lima at midnight for one day then to climb in cusc

If you are in Lima for a full 24 hours then you can head into the hotel districts. Miraflores has the largest selection of of hotels from entry level through to luxury hotels.

At this time of night make sure that you take a registered cab, don't try to pick one up outside the airport. Taxi Green have a stand in the airport.

Paul - Totally Latin America

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arrive in lima at midnight for one day then to climb in cusc

I would not stay at the airport, but go to Miraflores (or Barranco). If you are arriving late and leaving early, traffic to the airport won't be that bad.

My favorite lodging in Lima, very convenient for taking the Metropolitano to downtown/Plaza de Armas is 3B in Barranco, on a well-lit safe street. The TA reviews capture it well.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294316-d154737…

If you want to book Cruz del Sur bus online, do it more than 48 hours in advance. There is also a kiosk at the Real Plaza near the Sheraton, at the Estacion Central (Grau) Metropolitano stop. Tip: my favorite seats if the downstairs is sold out, are the first row upstairs, you can stretch your legs out on the dashboard. Don't take seats 8 or 9 (the ones in front of the stairwell), no leg room!.

As far as driving, the Panamerica Sur isn't bad, but the other drivers are!

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arrive in lima at midnight for one day then to climb in cusc

We have 2 nights arriving late so a whole day in LIma.

3B looks great for us. Can anyone tell us what the airport transfer costs and how long it might take to arrive at airport at 10am?

And do 3B have any safe facilities?

I'm assuming from Barranco we can find our own way around the sites during the day. Not great city or museum people so just want to see the major locations and try some economical Peruvian eating.

We speak spanish so will skip a guide I think.

ps Glad to see you still being super helpful mlgb. Much appreciated.

Edited: 1:45 pm, October 17, 2012
Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
36 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: arrive in lima at midnight for one day then to climb in cusc

3B in Barraco looks nice and thanks for the tips on getting to plaza de armas . We aren't museum people either just wanting the big sites and are into photography .

Is it easy to also get to Mira Flores frm Barranco to explore costa verde and see the parque de amor . Sunset there looks beautiful from the photos .

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: arrive in lima at midnight for one day then to climb in cusc

They charge $23 for a pickup and $20 for the return (or for the return you may pay the driver 50 soles directly). Taxi Green is less, 45 soles from the airport.

They have a secure storage room if you want to leave luggage, as well as individual keyed cash boxes (which they keep in the same room right behind the 24 hour reception desk). Only the trustworthy employees have access to the storage room.

The front gate is secured by a buzzer and they open the door immediately (unlike another famous B*B in Barranco), and the street has good lighting and activity until late night. You will enjoy walking around Barranco probably as much or more than Miraflores. I enjoy listening to the first time travelers come back into the lobby and say how much they prefer the neighborhood to other options in Lima.

You can walk along the coastline to Miraflores, but take a taxi at night. There are also combis (bus lines) that run straight to Larcomar Mall. (If Gisella is there at night when you check in, she is the one that helps me with the bus lines).

Edited: 2:17 pm, October 17, 2012
8. Re: arrive in lima at midnight for one day then to climb in cusc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 19, 2013