We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Assistance

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,531 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Assistance

We arrive in the port after an 18 night cruise. We dock in the late morning and have that day to see a few sights in Lima. The next morning we are going to the airport to begin a Machu Picchu trip for a few days. After MP we need 1 night in Lima before our flight back to the US. I would like to find a hotel where I can store a few pieces of luggage as we will not need that much after the cruise and I don't want to have to take it on the flights from LIMA - Cusco.

I need to find a place that I can easily drop off the bags during the one day that we have to tour Lima. Any suggestions are welcome. I realize that there is a hotel at the Lima airport that I can probably use but I think it is pricey and gets poor ratings.

Lima
Level Contributor
523 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Assistance

There are many nice hotels in the Miraflores District area and all of them have a storage room for luggage. It takes approximately 35-40 minutes from downtown Miraflores to the Lima Airport with traffic in normal conditions and during rush time 15-20 additional minutes. You must remember that you got to be at the airport 3 hours before your flight for check.in as it has been established in Peru for internationa flights. Suggested hotels, Sonesta Miraflores, Casa Andina Centro Miraflores, Mariel, Antara, Casa Andina Private Collection Miraflores, Marriott, Miraflores Park, Antigua Miraflores among many other.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Aruba
Level Contributor
4,531 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Assistance

Thanks. Is there any hotel near the airport that you would recommend??

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Assistance

area around airport is very rough. why not stay in the airport at the hotel there

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Assistance

You seem to have enough time to be worthwhile staying in Miraflores (or Barranco) rather than the airport.

Allow an hour travel time, so you don't stress out when there is traffic. Check with your airline website on how much time ahead you need, LAN needs more time than the others.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Assistance

Central Lima or Miraflores will be good. Try not to stay in Barranco as its a little further. Be in Lima airport seriously early. Things to watch out for the crazy traffic in Lima and the chaotic airport in the morning.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Assistance

in the airport you face lines at airline counters, lines at security, and (in our case at 8 PM) a 45 minute line just to turn in that little white immigration card.

Why do they even have that?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Assistance

Central Lima seems to have worse traffic congestion than either the Miraflores or Barranco areas, Barranco is maybe 5 or 10 minutes more than Miraflores (and might even be faster if you are staying inland Miraflores).

A taxi driver should be taking the coast highway which is usually free flowing.

They are probably looking for people who sneak into the country without getting their immigration cards and passports stamped. Or overstayers, then they get to collect a fee.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
848 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Assistance

seems like just having the passport wouldshow the time you were there, or if it was or was not stamped.

our cab driver strangely avoided the coast road and did the pull up and stop at each light all the way to the airport

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Assistance

Try the security check at Miami or Lax airport and then lets compare notes.

Miraflores and Barranco are really close to each other, so either are fine.

You can pick a hotel La Castellana and I am sure hey will keep your luggage at no cost for the time you go and visit Cusco.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Assistance

They don't get to keep a copy of your passport. Maybe they do something with that piece of paper when they get it back. Who knows.