We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover in Lima

Australia
Level Contributor
295 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Layover in Lima

Hi folks,

In late April I arrive into Lima at 6.10am on an Iberia flight, before catching on the same day a LAN flight at 1.20pm to Cuzco. I've arranged for a private guide to show me around Lima for a bit, with the last stop being Miraflores.

I will have carry-on luggage only, and intend on checking-in online. I was wondering what time I need to be back at the airport to pay my departure tax and make my flight?

Thank you!

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Layover in Lima

You should be back at the airport 1-2 hours before your flight leaves so around 11:30AM. You pay the departure tax just before going through security and there are bank machines which give out Soles and US dollars just before the departure tax.

When my wife and I travelled from Miraflores to the Airport it took almost an hour with the traffic so plan ahead.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,562 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Layover in Lima

If you have checked on Internet and have no luggage and a boarding pass in hand, you can arrive 45 minutes before departure and go straight to the boarding gate described on your boarding pass.

Australia
Level Contributor
295 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Layover in Lima

Thanks folks! Is it possible to pay the departure tax in advance? That is, before embarking on my tour, to gain even more time?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Layover in Lima

What is this departure tax you guys are talking about, and how much is it?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Layover in Lima

If you have a boarding pass in advance you can pay the departure tax before you leave the airport, and the pass will tell you what time you will need to be at the gate. They will put a little tax sticker on the pass. You also have to go through security screening. I would suggest that 45 minutes may get you bumped from your flight for not being at the gate in time. Note that they tend to be stricter on carryons for that flight. Do allow at least an hour to go back to the airport. I would agree with Jodos suggestion to leave Lima at approx 11:30 am.

It isn't much, like $6 approx (it seems to change daily). You must pay in cash, US or PEN.

Edited: 6:45 pm, March 14, 2011
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
548 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Layover in Lima

Try to check yourself online asap and print a copy on the copy your will see the reccomendation time of the airline to be at the airport.

As soos as you get to Lima go to Lan a check your luggage for your flight.

About taxes since last november they are included on the ticket so you don't need to worry about this but to be sure ask the airline rep about this.

About the tour I would reccomend to end it at the airport. A descent tour takes about 4 hours so if you start at let's say at 08:00 you will finish by noon try to be at the airport by then.

Start from Miraflores, then San Isidro, downtown Lima where you will see the Palace of goverment, Cathedral and City hall, then visit the convent of San Francisco with the Catacumbs and from there go back to the airport its closer.

Take care now,

Edited: 10:11 am, March 15, 2011
somewhere out there
Level Contributor
179 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Layover in Lima

Hi Pandorastein

I am planning to fly to Cuzco on 24 May and have an 18 hour layover at LIMA airport from 11a.m 23 May till 05 AM 24 May! Such a long time!

Can you recommend to me which tour guide did you take for the LIMA tour , how much are the charges and is there a pick-up and drop-off at the LIMA AIRPORT? Can you tell me how good was your experience with the guide and recommend reputable , safe ones.

Thank you

8. Re: Layover in Lima

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, October 22, 2012