We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Alexandria, Virginia
4 posts
Save Topic
What you can bring back to USA from Peru

Hi, all. Anyone familiar with US Customs rules about the value of stuff you can bring in to the US from Peru? My family is visiting for a couple of weeks later this month and I'm dying to bring back as much Tacama wine and pisco and Peruvian handicrafts as I can.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What you can bring back to USA from Peru

cbp.gov/xp/…types_of_exemptions.xml

www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/

$800, including two liters of alcoholic beverages with this $800 exemption, as long as one of the liters was produced in Peru. In addition, some items are duty free (fine art for example).

You can also combine allowances within a family.

Sample declaration form

cbp.gov/xp/…sample_declaration_form.xml

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What you can bring back to USA from Peru

BTW there are some specialized preferences for Andean countries including Peru extended thru 31 Dec 2010, including textile goods, which are one of the nicest things to buy in Peru. If you were thinking of going over the $800 I might look further into this, it's complicated!

Otherwise...

Shop away!

Alexandria, Virginia
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What you can bring back to USA from Peru

Thanks for the helpful replies. So it sounds like I could exceed the $800, but I'd have to pay customs on the excess? It's not like they'd impound the goods, right? (Not that I could exceed $800 by much, if any!)

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What you can bring back to USA from Peru

I wouldn't worry much unless you are planning to bring textiles for sale.

As long as its for your normal use you should have no problems whatsoever.

The alcoholic beverages are limited to only 2 liters per person.

Do not bring Coca tea as it will get detected by the drug dogs and you could get into trouble.

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
1,018 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What you can bring back to USA from Peru

I think, you can bring a coca tea if you get it in a store. Friend of mine brought from Peru some coca tea.

Edited: 5:37 pm, April 05, 2010
Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What you can bring back to USA from Peru

I wouldn't risk it. Coca tea is coca tea. Drug dogs don't know the difference in where it was bought.

Some people have brought it back -- but why risk it?

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What you can bring back to USA from Peru

My friend from the UK brought maté de coca back to Canada from South America with no problems. When we went on a road trip to go climbing in the USA the boarder guards spent a bit of time examining the maté and looking it up on their computers but in the end they said it was perfectly legal to have it in Canada or the USA.

Chiclayo, Peru
Level Contributor
805 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What you can bring back to USA from Peru

Coca leaves are illegal to bring into the United States, unless you're Coca Cola. Many people bring some back in their luggage but you may get in trouble for it. As far as the 2 liters of alcohol goes, I'd stick with pisco -- Peruvian wine is overpriced at S/. 5 a bottle!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What you can bring back to USA from Peru

Yes, just declare everything you bring, the only thing that would be confiscated would be prohibited items, so have a look at those. You may not even be charged a duty if some of the things you are bringing are exempt, such as certain textiles or fine arts.

BTW the customs inspector in LAX did allow me to bring a few coca TEA bags into the US, but not coca leaves..just declare it at worst they might take the tea away. You won't be arrested if you're not trying to sneak it in!

I've wondered about those carved gourds, they're nice lightweight gifts but I keep thinking it's a plant item with seeds.

What I really want to bring in are huacatay seeds, but I think they're not allowed. I'm still gonna try this time, though.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
105 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What you can bring back to USA from Peru

Regarding the Coco tea, I brought about 30 boxes back. Not a problem if they are in tea bags.