We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Machu Picchu

Which Lima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Virginia
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Machu Picchu

I am planning a trip this summer in July or Aug to explore MC along with my boys.

What is the best way to get there from Virginia and what we can expect for the weather? What other destinations are recommended while we are in Peru. We can spend about a week in Peru.

Thanks

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Machu Picchu

Macchu Pichu is kind of complicated to get to. If you only have one week would that include your travel time to Peru? I flew out Seattle-Houston-Lima-Cusco and that took 2 days. Return was Cusco-LIma-NewJersey-Seattle and that took 3 days. I used miles, that's why I went through New Jersey! You must first fly into Lima, Peru and all flights out to Cusco would be the next day. If you want to see Cusco be aware that because of the high altitude, about 11,000', you will need to take it easy the first day. MP is at lower altitude so an alternative would be to go directly to the Sacred Valley from the Cusco airport and stay a day or two. There are lots of ruins and short hikes in the Sacred Valley. Take the train to Aquas Calientes which is the closest town to MP, plan on spending the night so you can have another day to explore MP. Spend at least one day seeing Cusco, it's a lovely city with some very good ruins and museums. Our summer is winter time in Peru and it will be cool and dry in the highlands. It's busy season so make your reservations as soon as possible. There's so much to see in Peru, can't you take some more time? Your boys would love seeing the Amazon jungle!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,252 posts
481 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Machu Picchu

For more info on Peru, go to the Peru inside pages on this forum.

3. Re: Travel to Machu Picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:21 am, August 28, 2009