We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pilpintuwasi Butterfly Farm and Animal Orphanage

Which Iquitos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Pilpintuwasi Butterfly Farm and Animal Orphanage

A great place to visit for day trips from Iquitos is the Pilpintuwasi Butterfly

Farm. Besides raising Butterflys the government has named them the Amazon Animal

Orphanage. So many animals have been dumped or donated to them that an Orphanage

has been created. They are not getting any money or help from the government to

feed and take care of the animals. My sister donated her time to create a web

site for them and the animals. It is http://www.amazonanimalorphanage.org Their

phone number is (065) 23-2665. I hope you can include this great effort they are

doing in your next update.

Thank you

Gary

San Francisco
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pilpintuwasi Butterfly Farm and Animal Orphanage

I have NEVER received treatment as rude as the day I tried to visit the Pilpintuwasi Butterfly Farm! As a second grade teacher, I traveled to Iquitos specifically to see the farm there, and bring home pictures of butterflies to show my children. I arrived at the park at 4:00 sharp, and was hoping I would have an hour to explore before they closed at 5:00 (according to the Lonely Planet and Let's Go guidebooks.) Well, I didn't realize they had changed their times, and when I finally tracked down an employee (the owner's wife), she began to yell at me for entering the park after the closing time of 4:00. I apologized, and told her that we had traveled very far to see the animals so we could teach our school children about them. I told her that no guide would be necessary, but offered her the entry fee, and asked if we could walk the loop of the park on our way out, since it was just 4:00. She continued to yell at us, told us that we were disrespecting the creatures and animals, and told us that we needed to remove ourselves immediately. As we walked out, my partner took a picture of a monkey that was hanging around the entrance, and she swooped down on us, demanding more money from us because he had dared to take a picture when we had no right to enter in the first place. Now, I understand that we had unknowingly arrived at closing time, but I was almost in tears that an organization that purports to care for creatures could treat visitors in such a terrible manner.

2. Re: Pilpintuwasi Butterfly Farm and Animal Orphanage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:33 am, January 28, 2008
California
Level Contributor
58 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pilpintuwasi Butterfly Farm and Animal Orphanage

I've been there twice and can't believe we're referring to the same place. The lady who runs it is one of the nicest, kindest people on the planet - she puts her heart and soul into this and it shows. You must have gone to one of the other private zoo's by mistake.

New York
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pilpintuwasi Butterfly Farm and Animal Orphanage

I met Gudrun, the owner of this wonderful place, while I was working in Iquitos and she is a superb lady. I have had the chance to take visitors, university students from the US to Pilpintuwasi and they were delighted not only by the beautiful butterflies and the animals but also by the interest and care Gudrun provides these creatures. My wife, daughter and niece visited Pilpintuwasi 2 years ago and they also found it a wonderful experience, I have a picture of the children with Gudrun where she is patienly and lovingly explaining about a butterfly she is holding with her fingers. As someone pointed out, there are several so called animal farms in the Nanay and Momon area that are just simply animal prisons, these people's main concern is to get profit regardless the suffering of these poor creatures. Without knowing how to reach Pilpintuwasi you could be misled to one of these places and of course you would be very much disappointed.

David

Iquitos, Peru
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pilpintuwasi Butterfly Farm and Animal Orphanage

I feel compelled to speak on behalf of Gudrun and the animal orphanage/butterfly farm. I have known her for close to 7 years (as I live in Iquitos and USA) in which time we have grown to be great friends. Although I do not agree with such treatment, I can only think she must have been under a ton of stress on that day. Usually snapping at someone means total stress! For all the good Gudrun has done for the orphaned animals, she obviously has a good heart, and I would choose not to think the worst. I do know that she ALWAYS is worrying about caring/feeding for the animals and maintains a job at the local public university in order to help sustain the care of the orphans. She is back and forth between Iquitos and jungle home where her orphanage and butterfly farm is located. I have great respect for Gudrun's work and know that although the government agencies often bring her orphaned animals, they lend no support whatsoever. She is a very dedicated person to her passion - as she is providing a service that no one else has done in our area. If you go her place, my suggestion is to check with the tourist bureau downtown for any possible changes in schedule or downtime before visiting (also, because a guide book cannot maintain this information on an up-to-date basis). The tourist center should have the latest info on most places in Iquitos. Hopefully, however, as a result of the negative experience posted here, we will all be alerted to checking before going. Again, sorry for this person's experience, but agree with other posts that the trip is an unforgettable experience!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pilpintuwasi Butterfly Farm and Animal Orphanage

Must have caught Gudrun on a very bad day because she is an excellent person and I find it hard t belive she responded in that way. Yet we all have our days.

Dont let that bad post bother you. It is a great place and she and her staff do all possible to do the best for the animals.

Yes she does need more donations

and dont go to the animal prisons in momon or cumaceba lodge.

7. Re: Pilpintuwasi Butterfly Farm and Animal Orphanage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, September 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Iquitos