We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aqua/Machu Picchu

Upper midwest
Level Contributor
5 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Aqua/Machu Picchu

Hello all,

I am looking for a bit of guidance. My wife and I are planning a trip to experience the Amazon and Machu Picchu, ( I can still be swayed if I’m not looking at the best places) We want to cruise on Aqua and have time to experience one other destination in Peru allowing us to keep our trip to 14 days total. It seems like 4 night on Aqua is about perfect plus the time to see Machu Picchu. I’d like to do a canopy tour/walk but not sure how to fit it in. So here is my questions to the group. We are pretty seasoned travelers but do not speak Spanish so I am thinking I’ll need to use a travel service for this trip. I’ve seen a few suggestions, but am going to ask the forum again for a recommendation. I’ll want to book this all in advance as I want everything secured prior to leaving the US.

Has anyone used Aqua Expeditions to “add” Machu Picchu to their trip? Opinions/comments? How about best time of year? I’m thinking early May 2013.

A bit more about me… 2 years ago I planned a trip to Costa Rico without a travel guide. We went to Casa Corcovado and then rented a car in San Jose and drove to Arenal for a few days. While driving in Costa Rico was challenging I see Peru as even more challenging and am leaning toward a trip with all transfers etc… included.. Opinions?

Thanks,

Link

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
219 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aqua/Machu Picchu

Hello Smoky63,

Our suggestion would be to visit Machu Picchu first, and then fly from Cusco to Iquitos (via Lima). Like this, you avoid any unnecessary overnights in Lima between destinations, and you also leave the Amazon for the end of your trip, where you can unpack the bags and feel settled. You should also consider flying to Peru with One World alliance, so you can qualify for a discounted airpass to keep the domestic flight prices down. The 5D trip is a great idea, as it gives you time to settle into the cabin and really experience the forest. Choose a cabin at the front of the ship, on upper decks if available.

May is a great time to be both in the Amazon and Machu Picchu. The rainy season will have subsided so you should expect clear skies and the heavy crowds that visit Machu Picchu in peak season (June-August) have not yet arrived. If you have further questions we would be more than happy to assist you. With best regards,

Rainforest Cruises

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aqua/Machu Picchu

I can't address your question about arranging the tour through Aqua Expeditions but I just went on a 7 night Amazon tour on Aqua. I highly recommend this company for its organization, itinerary, staff, food; in short everything was beyond our expectations. A truly luxurious, relaxing, and interesting trip! In conversations with the other well travelled travelers, this experience ranks with the best trips ever!

3. Re: Aqua/Machu Picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 27, 2014