We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Picking a jungle lodge near iquitos - recommendations

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Picking a jungle lodge near iquitos - recommendations

So I am starting planning early...I am planning to go to the Amazon region in Sep 2013.

Before getting into the question about lodges, is Sep a good time to go...I want to go there during the low-water season..and my main goals are just being in the jungle, listen to the sounds, see people living along the river, watch lot of birds and other wildlife...and be near the Amazon river itself.

Then I am trying to do some research into lodges..my main requiremens are:

- it should be far enough from iquitos so jungle is more pristine with more wildlife and feels remote.

- be in a area with lot of birds and animals around...

- great if there are hiking trails in the area to explore and see wildlife.

- great if you can see birds and other wildlife right near the lodge when you are hanging out :)

- don't care too much about the luxury aspects...any reasonable accommodation will do...with decent food.

- Planning to stay for about 7 nights

Well, as of now I have narrowed it down to about 4 lodges

- Explornapo lodge

- Tahuayo lodge

- Amazon yarapa river lodge

- Muyuna lodge

Any recommendations/experiences with the above...or any other lodge recommendations?

Anyone has experience with trails at the Amazon research center near Tahuayo lodge? It seems there is a huge network of trails there with lot of wildlife abound?

Thank you for your time....

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Picking a jungle lodge near iquitos - recommendations

I didn't stay at Explornapo but did see it when we went to do the canopy walkway (I stayed at Ceiba Tops). Explornapo is very rustic, with shared pit toilets and shared showers and no power in the rooms. It was very basic. We had breakfast and lunch there and the food was really good. It is located in a very nice area with a lot of trails, birds, flowers and probably animals (I didn't see any but we were there only a short time). It took us 2 hours by boat to get there from Ceiba Tops which was 1 hour from Iquitos.

If you don't want to go that rustic, Explorama Lodge is a step up with ensuite toilet and shower, but still no hot water. I didn't get to see this lodge so cannot comment more.

Edited: 1:29 pm, October 19, 2012
Camarillo...
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Picking a jungle lodge near iquitos - recommendations

Ha! I'm going in Sept 2013 too and shopping around for a lodge. Best of luck on your trip.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
116 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Picking a jungle lodge near iquitos - recommendations

DJCat,

Thanks for the info.

What did you think about canopy walkway.

Is that something that I should give importance to while selecting lodges, in your opinion?

Thanks

Jorean,

Thank you. Good luck to you too. Please update this if you find any info regarding questions in my message above :)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Picking a jungle lodge near iquitos - recommendations

While I enjoyed the canopy walkway I don't know that I would go out of my way to do it. It was really nice seeing the canopy from above but we did not see any animals while we were on it, I think you have to go in the early morning to see the animals. We did see monkeys while walking to it. It took us 2 hours by boat to get to Explornapo and then a 1 hour hike to reach the walkway.

I did however, enjoy my whole Explorama experience, you can read my trip report at tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g294315-i5895-k5845… or my review (its essentially the same) that was finally posted today.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Picking a jungle lodge near iquitos - recommendations

Canopy is where you can sometimes see the mixed flocks of colorful tanagers and other species. I can't speak to Ceiba Tops or Explorama, but the canopy platforms and zip line at Tahuayo Lodge were worthwhile. That feature bumps them up in ranking the Iquitos area lodges in my opinion.

6. Re: Picking a jungle lodge near iquitos - recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 25, 2013