We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is the canopy worth it?

Orange County...
Level Contributor
65 posts
232 reviews
Save Topic
is the canopy worth it?

We plan to stay at Cieba Tops for 3 or 4 days in early Oct. It would be 4 days if we add the canopy tour (or is there something else we should add to that 4th day). I initially wanted to do it but it's really expensive (almost as much to add the 1 extra night and canopy tour as the whole first 3 days). I know I could save money by trying out one of the other lodges, but I just might be too high maintenance for that. Plus, should probably add I'm very prone to sea sickness and a little worried about the boat ride too (they said 75 miles). Thoughts?? Is it really worth doubling the cost of the trip? If we leave Iquitos early we'd probably head back to Lima where I'd find something to fill 3 days before our main tour starts (I'm thinking Ica and the sand Dunes).

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,394 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is the canopy worth it?

No motion sickness when boating in a river.

I really get seasick and never has happened when in a river

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is the canopy worth it?

I think it's worthwhile to do a canopy visit. Bring binoculars.

If you can go without A/C you might consider Tahuayo Lodge. They don't have extra charges. However their canopy visit is combined with ziplines so if you are high maintenance that might not be your cup of tea.

I never get seasick so no help with that question!

Edited: 2:19 pm, July 30, 2012
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is the canopy worth it?

The Explorama Canopy Walkway was the best thing I did in Iquitos. And I doubt "seasickness" would come into play on one of their high speed transport boats because with all the horsepower they have, they do no wallow in the river. Whether something is "worth" it or not is always a relative question but it would be a shame to go all the way out to the lodges and miss a unique view of Amazon. If you are a "birder" or just like watching wildlife it gives you a different and for some animals better perspective.

Florida
Level Contributor
50 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is the canopy worth it?

We just finished the canopy experience at explornapa. We were able to start at 06:30 a.m. as we were staying at Napo. I believe getting there early with the guide affords the best opportunity for seeing the birds etc. As the groups come in for a day wildlife might be a little sparse. Also, make sure your guide accompanies you along the canopy so you can ask questions. Some may turn you loose and meet you at the end. If this is done they are being less than accommodating. We did see three species of the toucans and a lot of other flora. The view is amazing. Keep an eye out for the pygmy monkeys around the lodge. Without a guide by our side we would have missed it all.

5. Re: is the canopy worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 06, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Iquitos