We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flooding in Iquitos

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Flooding in Iquitos

Is the flooding in Iquitos bad enough to cancel travel plans scheduled for mid May? Thanks.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,498 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flooding in Iquitos

No, it normally happens every other year

Edited: 5:22 pm, April 11, 2012
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flooding in Iquitos

Thank you. From the photos I have seen and the news reports, the flooding is the worst since 1986.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flooding in Iquitos

It's actually pretty bad. My friend was there a couple of weeks ago (she visits Iquitos 3 times a year since 5 years ago) and said that people are having a hard time, this isn't the typical rainy season. Not sure how this affects lodges though, and hopefully for May flooding will clear. Remember it's seasonal.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flooding in Iquitos

This is part of an email I received from Explorama yesterday regarding the flooding:

"Many villages are indeed under water and families have moved to higher ground where they have farms year round. Normally people have farms inside in the forest on high ground and homes close to the water for bathing and washing and cooking. Most have moved to their farm land. Right now there is a lot of fish being caught because they are coming out of closed in lakes. The hardest hit along the rivers are the fishing villages as they don't always have homes on higher land.

The people that are having the most problems are those in Iquitos who have built homes in "pueblos jovenes" in flooded plains. Most of these people are squatters on land that was never meant to be developed but since these really big floods only come once every 12 or so years, there is plenty of time for whole villages to grow out on the low land. The local government does not control the building and since the land is the State's there is no other owner battling for it. And now the cycle has come around and their homes are indeed flooded. Many schools in Iquitosare being used for people evacuating their homes.

And the good news for now is that the Amazon is holding steady the last few days with rises in the level of a millimeter or two a day rather than 6-7 cm per day and the Ucayali is dropping steadily daily. That leaves only the Marañon to increase the level of the river. "

Regarding their lodges, this is what they say:

"All of our lodges areon high ground so we are open as usual. The only lodge that may have some flooding problems is Explorama Lodge but we have plenty of room to move the dining room to another area on higher ground."

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flooding in Iquitos

Just check with the lodge you are booking. Most lodges are on stilts to allow for seasonal flooding. May is a secondary high water season , I know a year or two ago it was very high mid month on the Tahuayo.

Warsaw, Warszawa...
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flooding in Iquitos

1) Check your lodge

2) Call iPeru in Iquitos

All people out there seem pretty calm and quite astonished of worrying and panicking urban gringos. Still amazes me.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,498 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flooding in Iquitos

So, flooding is part of the daily life in the jungle.

I worked in that area about 35 years ago, and flooding was already a normal ocurrence during the rainy season.

Edited: 9:46 am, April 12, 2012
firefly2280
Level Contributor
77 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flooding in Iquitos

I unfortunately dont have a lodge booked, just a guide and we were going to stay in his village! I dont know the name and havent heard from him to see if he is ok.

Do you think it would be possible to just turn up in May and get a lodge as I arrive if I can not stay with my guide?

Edited: 5:44 pm, April 12, 2012
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flooding in Iquitos

My bad. Amazon Promise says that the flooding will probably continue until the end of May. :(

www.facebook.com/photo.php…

Iquitos Amazon...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flooding in Iquitos

Hello Wereofftoseetheworlf, my name is Karina from Maniti Camp Expeditions, a registered jungle lodge and tour company based out of Iquitos.

Although It is true that the Amazon river floods every year, this part of the amazon has not risen this high in over 20 years. This situation is really affecting the people who live along the riverbanks, they are completely underwater, and so are their crops, which is driving up the food costs.

The good news for now is that the Amazon river is holding steady the last few days with rises in the level of a millimeter or two a day rather than 6-7 cm per day.

Luckily out lodge is located on high ground, so we are open and operating as usual.

Check with your lodge to see their situation, the river level will continue to go down, so from now until mid may things will change.

Contact iPeru (iperu@promperu.gob.pe and before booking a tour iperuiquitos@promperu.gob.pe) and ask for maps, information about Iquitos and Peru as well asthe reputation of the tour companies in Peru you are considering to hire.

Best Regards

Get answers to your questions about Iquitos