We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Availability of buying Deet in Lima or Iquitos

Lake chapala, Mexico
9 posts
Save Topic
Availability of buying Deet in Lima or Iquitos

Should I pack my Deet for Ceiba Tops or will there be somewhere in Lima or Iquitos that I can buy Deet (or the Peruvian Equivalent). Thanks!

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Availability of buying Deet in Lima or Iquitos

You can get very small bottles of Deet at camping stores -- 1 oz. or so. This will be plenty, as you only use a tiny bit. Ben's 100 is one brand I am familiar with -- Ben's also comes in lower Deet concentrations.

We brought "Off" towelettes for the Inca Trail & Machu Picchu (didn't get to the jungle), 25% Deet, very easy to pack & carry.

My personal preference is to bring things like that with me when I travel, so I don't spend a lot of my time out shopping for them.

2. Re: Availability of buying Deet in Lima or Iquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, April 10, 2012
Iquitos Amazon...
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Availability of buying Deet in Lima or Iquitos

Hello Vicki, my name is Karina from Maniti Camp Expeditions, a registered jungle lodge and tour operator in Iquitos.

You can find "off" and other similar brands in almost any "farmacia" or supermarket in Lima. Most of the farmacias in Iquitos have them too.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Availability of buying Deet in Lima or Iquitos

Easier to bring the small containers with you, there are a number of sizes that are less than 3 oz so you can carry on.

iquitos
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Availability of buying Deet in Lima or Iquitos

There is no DEET repellants in Iquitos, absolutely. buy it at home.

Barra de Navidad
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Availability of buying Deet in Lima or Iquitos

Thank you. We bought some the last time we were in the U.S. (we live in Mexico) so will pack it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
385 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Availability of buying Deet in Lima or Iquitos

I agree with redhead above, I don't want to be shopping for necessities when I get to my destination - much better things to do, I'm sure! But it's good to know things are available in case I forget something, or loose it. We have DEET 40% but will be travelling for 4 months before we get to Peru. I'm hoping we don't lose anything but you never know......

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
103 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Availability of buying Deet in Lima or Iquitos

I recently bought "Maxi Deet"with 98% DEET from a camping store on Av. Larco in Miraflores (Lonely Planet lists them). Paid 35 soles for 2 oz. The "Off"sold in supermarkets doesn't contain enough, or any, DEET. You need a high concentration if you're in the jungle around Iquitos.

BTW, I spent 10 days in the jungle, from Pucallpa, Peru, to Leticia, Colombia, and never even cracked open the bottle; mosquitoes were practically nonexistent. Only if you're going deep into the jungle on a tour would I bother with it.

Edited: 10:27 pm, April 10, 2012
Houston
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Availability of buying Deet in Lima or Iquitos

I get mine in the camping section in Wally-world (Wal-mart) or at Academy and carry it on the flights in my purse. I have over packed with it each time and not needed all of it. The 100% is very frugal and travel friendly to have since you use so little. You are also not perfumed to death like with the more diluted options.

Another thing you might wanna bring is your own favorite sunblock. It seems extra pricey there.

Other personal items are good to get there as you need them, though. It is kinda neat to shop for the same types of items that you regularly get and see how they are marketed differently and compare prices and such. Pantene shampoo, for example, is roughly the same price that I pay in Houston but the bottle is different. For me, it is a practical souviner to enjoy each time I shower until I use it all up. *NOTE* It is common to need to pay for pharmacy items in the pharmacy section of the market, if you are in a grocery store.

For anyone going to MP, read the thread about the evil biting flies.

10. Re: Availability of buying Deet in Lima or Iquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, June 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Iquitos