We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ayahuesca in Iquitos

Port Elizabeth...
1 post
Save Topic
Ayahuesca in Iquitos

Hi, we're a couple of friends that want to attend an ayahuesca retreat. I've got the list narrowed down to two centres; The Temple of the way of light and The Hummingbird centre. Can anyone recommend which is the better one for a safe, reliable ayahuesca experience? Any advice will be appreciated.

Iquitos, Peru
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ayahuesca in Iquitos

Hi Mymaboon. I think both companies you are considering are reputable. Better contact iPeru, the official tourism board to ask for the reputation of these Ayahuasca centres and for the contact information of the Shamans association for further information. Contact them to iperuiquitos@promperu.gob.pe or their 24-hour line: (+51 1) 574-8000, check the Peru official website: www.peru.travel.

Edited: 10:40 am, January 14, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
2. Re: Ayahuesca in Iquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, February 09, 2012
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
27 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ayahuesca in Iquitos

Hi guys! of both I heard good things...but if you want to try something different than that I have a couple of contacts in iquitos...a man and a woman...they are humble mestizo shamans...no intermediates and no gringos...only medicine...but they have very nice place...if you are interested I pass you the info...write me here: ale_dei@yahoo.it

And enjoy the jungle!!

Ale :)

Greensboro NC
Level Contributor
63 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ayahuesca in Iquitos

I'm not sure I would do either one, I know that both push tourists through their "program" like cattle on a regular basis and a very high price. Just go to Iquitos, spend a day or two talking to people and you will find plenty of ceremonies for $30 per experience or less with a real Shaman, who is a real Peruvian and with a much more personal experience. If you will contact me directly I will suggest particular people to contact once in Iquitos.

Mentioned in this post
Iquitos
Iquitos
Loreto Region, Peru
Greensboro NC
Level Contributor
63 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ayahuesca in Iquitos

Note - real shaman's don't have websites and 12 day tourist programs...

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
27 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ayahuesca in Iquitos

The extreme lower price for a week retreat is around 650$, what I'm talking about is less than half this crazy price...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ayahuesca in Iquitos

I think that it is a VERY bad idea to just show up in Iquitos looking for ayahuasca. You may as well just go to your local drug dealer and take what he has on hand. There are many reputable retreats there, and some do serious shamanic healing, but your chances of having a traumatic experience is very high if you start shopping on the street. I believe there is no better place than the Refugio Altiplano (Scott Peterson). That said, while everyone there is very protected at all times, he is not into manipulative methods of control that some people seem to need. You are not herded through a set program and starved near death, etc. etc. The Refugio is the "graduate school" of shamanic healing--by an educated adult for educated adults.

Lima
Level Contributor
523 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ayahuesca in Iquitos

The Ayahuasca take is essentially a spiritual experience that not all are immediately prepared for (both physically and spiritually). Unfortunately it has been commercialized to the point that it can become a disappointing experience and even dangerous: It is very important to find out beforehand about the reputation not only of the shaman that will be doing the ayahuasca preparation and ritual, but also of the support people behind the shaman, that is the travel company, the lodge, or the institution which guarantees for the seriousness of the experience. Even when you arrive to Iquitos, consider a couple of days to learn more, talk to the shaman and find out by mind and heart if you can trust him or her. You will need to spend 2 or 3 days in the whole preparation process before the take and like I said before, the shaman must honestly tell you if you are absolutely prepared for Ayahuasca which is after all a hallucinogen, non addictive but strong enough to affect you (for the good which is the intended purpose).

Mentioned in this post
Iquitos
Iquitos
Loreto Region, Peru
Lille, France
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ayahuesca in Iquitos

Hi Bruce,

Ive been reading the feed back of the refugio altiplano and it seems pretty good, not to say excellent. please tell me about Scott, is he a peruvian shaman? Can you tell me about the price for a 5 to one week treament on ayahuasca.

Please share with e your experience. im travelling to Iquitos in the next few days. aiting for the next boat to go!

please answer me at deborahlou.cohen@gmail.com

Mentioned in this post
Iquitos
Iquitos
Loreto Region, Peru
Iquitos, Peru
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ayahuesca in Iquitos

This is Jim Davis, the owner of the Hummingbird Center. Anyone coming to iquitos to drink ayahuasca, please do not just wing it. The are a lot of shysters serving ayahuasca, people with little or no training who have zero ability help or protect. There are also many genuine ayahuasqueros who have never worked with gringos. Finding them is the challenge. Please be careful who you drink with.

Centers like mine are expensive in some comparisons. There are many who put them down as greedy money machines. I think everyone would be surprised by the amount of work and money it takes to run one of these centers.

Perhaps some do not do a good job caring for people. Most I know about genuinely care about the healing of their clients.

Ayahuasca is medicine, not a drug. The reasons to drink it are to heal and learn. We offer a very safe and supportive environment that helps people trust the medicine and the process. We do a lot of one on one coaching with people to help then understand and relax around their experience. The Hummingbird has a gifted energy healer in Paul Statton who can clear energies and see their root causes, helping people to understand many of their struggles.

Ignatio our shaman has been healing people 38 years and is incredibly dedicated to his work. I have seen him in ceremony sing without stopping for 2.5 hours going around the moloca working on each individual multiple times and just about collapse from exhaustion

When the ceremony ended. He cares.

We also work with san pedro (huachuma) the medicinal cactus of the Andes. We have found it to be a wonderful complement to ayahuasca, and with some it is san pedro that clears the blocks that then allows ayahuasca to work for them.

Everything we do is focused on people's healing. This is true of many other centers also.

One can find an ayahuasquero who does not speak any english and offers the benefits of the ceremony (which is the greater part) and rustic conditions, or choose a place like the Hummingbird or the Temple. Its a personal choice how and where one wants to drink ayahuasca, and I would not say one is better than the other. They are different services. Just make sure you have some good references before you drink ayahuasca with someone.