We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A reputable charity needing supplies?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
77 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
A reputable charity needing supplies?

My husband and I try to save extra room in our luggage to bring supplies to countries that we visit. We've brought soccer balls (deflated) to Angola, medical supplies to Ecuador and school supplies to Laos. Do you personally know of a reputable charity needing supplies/goods in the Iquitos area? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Ecuador
Ecuador
South America
Iquitos
Iquitos
Loreto Region, Peru
Texas
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,535 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A reputable charity needing supplies?

Amazon Promise, run by Patty Webster. She is awesome.

facebook.com/pages/…193391831901

Hope you meet her, you will really really like her!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,119 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A reputable charity needing supplies?

WISC, if you don't get a clear response here, try contacting your hotel in Iquitos; someone on staff is bound to know of a local school or children's home that could use supplies. This is what I've done successfully in order to make donations.

Mentioned in this post
Iquitos
Iquitos
Loreto Region, Peru
Texas
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,535 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A reputable charity needing supplies?

On a second thought, maybe this organization needs more donations because it's smaller and they have a nice way of organizing medical missions, which empower the communities they visit: http://selvainaction.org/

I don't know anything about other types of charities in Iquitos, only health-related ones. Hope it helps!

Mentioned in this post
Iquitos
Iquitos
Loreto Region, Peru
Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
925 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A reputable charity needing supplies?

what iquitos needs most is air conditioners, holy hell that place is hot and humid.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
77 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A reputable charity needing supplies?

MayFlower & azbuceadora - Thank you for your suggestions!

PeruIsCool - I'll see what I can do about air-conditioners = )

Happy New Year to all!

Iquitos, Peru
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A reputable charity needing supplies?

Hi WISCGirl. Amazon Promis, Amazon Hope, People of Peru Project and La Restinga are good options. I think iPeru, the official tourism board have a list of NGOs with their contact information in Iquitos. Contact them to iperuiquitos@promperu.gob.pe. Check the Peru's official website: www.peru.travel.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Iquitos
Iquitos
Loreto Region, Peru
Greensboro NC
Level Contributor
63 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A reputable charity needing supplies?

I can attest to Patty Webster with Amazon Promise, Patty runs a lot of medical clinics in Belen or I can recommend Paul Opp, who runs People of Peru. Paul runs a crisis center for abused girls, a breakfast program for school kids, and a free dental clinic. He keeps a list of things he needs on his website www.peopleofperu.org. but generally powdered baby formula, vitamins, pain relievers like Excedrin are things he always needs.

Mentioned in this post
Belen
Belen
583 Reviews
Iquitos, Peru
Peru
Peru
South America
Iquitos, Peru
Level Contributor
35 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A reputable charity needing supplies?

People of Peru Project is a well established charity, based in Iquitos. We have been here full time for 8 years and have a 501 c 3 status in the US, so you can get a tax receipt for charitable donations.

We operate a crisis center for abandoned and abused girls and their babies, have a medical and dental clinic that is ALWAYS free for the impoverished people in this area. It is open when we have volunteer doctors, nurses, dentists and hygienist attending. We have given free medical and dental attention to over 28,000 people in the last 8 years and depend on the donations of people like yourself.

There is a list of medical supplies that we always need on our web site. www.Peopleofperu.org click the "needs" tab. We are happy to give you a tour of our facilities and help you make arrangements for your stay in the Iquitos area. You can email me at u4peru@aol.com Thank you so much for your consideration.

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Iquitos
Iquitos
Loreto Region, Peru
9. Re: A reputable charity needing supplies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 26, 2013