We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack?

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
Save Topic
What to pack?

Hi!I am taking a six day trek into Tarpoto and the surrounding areas at the end of June. Any advice on what to bring? Thanks!

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,436 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack?

Definately bring repeller along ( as strong as possible), the mosquitos will otherwise eat you alive.

Considering the potential rain I would recomment to bring trousers / shirts along that dry quickly.

You should get rubber shoes in Iquitos, which saves you bringing them along fron the US.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack?

What to pack? A good sense of humour. And you can weather the rain, the mud n the mosquitos. Heed the above advise.

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,436 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack?

I forgot another thing you need to bring along...patience.

Everything can move in a much slower space than what you are used too...especially at the airport

Mañana Mañana ;-)

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack?

RE the rubber boots, most lodges should supply them for you, saving having to lug them around. Just ask. A pair of insoles can make them more comfortable.

Most lodges have a good packing list, often on their websites.

My top 10 would be bug spray, a mosquito head net, bandana , long pants for hiking, something loose and cool to wear at the lodge, bathing suit, a headlamp, plastic ziplocks and dessicant for protecting against humidity, binoculars, and a camera. Extra batteries and fishing supplies are nice gifts for your guides.

Edited: 5:28 pm, June 15, 2011
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack?

Oh, and LOTS of socks. They don't dry. If you wear something like flip flops and bugspray round the lodge, it will give your feet some breathing time after being cooped up in rubber boots.

Edited: 5:30 pm, June 15, 2011
6. Re: What to pack?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, June 16, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Iquitos