We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iquitos Amazon Lodge or Puerto Maldonado? Wildlife?

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Iquitos Amazon Lodge or Puerto Maldonado? Wildlife?

Hello --

I'm planning an excursion to Peru and for part of my journey, I want to visit the Amazon. I've been searching for a suitable lodge and have found plenty... But I'm not sure which area offers more diversity and chances to interact with wildlife?

Here are some of the major items I want to do:

Visit and pet/play with monkeys

Canopy Tours / Zip Lining

Swim with dolphins* (if possible)

Visit indigenous tribe(s) (if possible)

Canoe trips

Where would you suggest? Personal experience? Reviews / thoughts / blogs?

Thanks a lot!

Iquitos, Peru
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
11. Re: Iquitos Amazon Lodge or Puerto Maldonado? Wildlife?

The main differences is in the river and forest. Iquitos is actually on the Amazon River dwarfing the rivers in the highlands. There are a few things in the lowlands (Iquitos region) that cannot be found in the foot hills such as massive floodplain lakes with dolphins, manatees and giant water lily pads . Not to mention that lowland forest is considerably safer and easier to camp and hike .

Interact with wildlife? I recommend you volunteer at the Pilpintuasi butterfly farm and animal orphanage in Padre Cocha. It is one of the few organizations that actually care about the animals in their custody.

Otherwise if you go on a jungle tour and you guide is catching sloths, and spearing capybaras,that's not a good practice.

On our trips, we generally observe wildlife,sometimes catching a snake or a frog but they are unharmed and released back to their habitat.

It the end, go to the jungle to observe wildlife,

go to rescue centers to interact with wildlife

12. Re: Iquitos Amazon Lodge or Puerto Maldonado? Wildlife?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 16, 2013