We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow fever vaccine - 9 days duration?

New Providence, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Yellow fever vaccine - 9 days duration?

Hello - my husband and I are getting the yellow fever vaccine in Cuzco on Dec, 22nd and will be going for an Amazon lodge stay near Iquitos on Dec 31st. This puts us a day short of the 10 day interval for the vaccine's full effect - does anyone know if this will be a problem on landing in Iquitos airport?

Thank you.

Arathi

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,571 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yellow fever vaccine - 9 days duration?

None at all.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yellow fever vaccine - 9 days duration?

We were only queried about the yellow fever vaccination when returning to Australia - surprisingly, US immmigration didn't query us at all.

New Providence, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yellow fever vaccine - 9 days duration?

Thank you to both of you!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
165 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yellow fever vaccine - 9 days duration?

hi there!

i was super glad to read your posting since me and my gf have the same issue. we are planning to have the vaccine 9 days when we arrive in iquitos. any problems in lima requiring the vaccine with 10 days anticipation? how much was the vaccine? Thanks

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yellow fever vaccine - 9 days duration?

I have just got back from Peru including a 3 day visit to Puerto Maldonado and a nearby lodge. No-one even looked at my yellow fever certificate, so I'm sure you won't have a problem.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
17 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Yellow fever vaccine - 9 days duration?

I've done some research on this bc I'm pregnant and not able to get a yellow fever shot. Every lodge I looked at (including the one where we're staying, Posada Amazonas) in fact just recommends the yellow fever shot. It's not required. Some people can't get them bc of religious or health reasons. Incidentally, there hasn't been a yellow fever outbreak in Peru since the early 80s so you should be fine with good bug protection (deet, long sleeved clothes etc ) anyway.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,571 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yellow fever vaccine - 9 days duration?

I am quoting from the Peruvian Bureau of Tourism "A yellow fever vaccination is required for traveling to jungle cities, and it must be administered at least 10 days before your trip. If not, it will not be effective."

It is a requirement to have the vaccine. If you are not asked for i, maybe you can get by. But if the contrary happens, you could be in troble.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yellow fever vaccine - 9 days duration?

First recommendation - always listen to advice from xochitl.

Second recommendation - go to a travel doctor and listen to what they say.

I also took a course of malarial tablets, as there were dengue mosquitoes by day (they are big fellas) and malarial mossies in the evening. Having said, I also used Deet and experienced very few bites.

The travel doctor total cost was around US$350, which included Diamox for altitude sickness, tetanus and Hep A shots. (Now I'm ready for anything!!)

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
17 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yellow fever vaccine - 9 days duration?

Not trying to be dismissive of anyone's good advice- I just can't get a yellow fever medication bc of pregnancy. I would have if I could have!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,571 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yellow fever vaccine - 9 days duration?

Yes, I do understand yr special case.

I hope you are not planning to do the Inca Trail while being pregnant.

Get answers to your questions about Iquitos