We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife spotting in Iquitos

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Wildlife spotting in Iquitos

Can anyone who has been to one of the Iquitos lodges please let me know what the wildlife is like? What can be seen? How does this compare to Manu? The main reason to go on the jungle tours is to experience the surroundings and to see nature in the wild. I would like to get some more info on this. Thanks.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,369 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife spotting in Iquitos

I have just been today with 2 people that went to the Iquitos area lodge.

They tell me they saw many monkeys, lots of birds, river dolphins,capihuaras and bunches of insects and a few snakes but no big game.

They really loved it.

austin, texas
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife spotting in Iquitos

We were in the Iquitos area in December and had a similar experience. We saw pink dolphins, several types of monkeys, capybaras, several types of birds, giant brightly colored butterflies, etc. We did not see a jaguar or anything that large. Our main reason for going to Iquitos rather than Manu was to see the real Amazon river--not just the Amazon "basin". Just keep in mind that you are going to a jungle. So, the animals are in smaller numbers and often in more hidden placess--it's no going to be like a wide-open African savannah with heards of animals are in one place.

new york
Level Contributor
725 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife spotting in Iquitos

Thank you. Did you see Caimans, otters, sloth or other wildlife which is advertised on these tours? What did you think of the Ceiba Tops canopy walk? Just trying to get an idea of what the "real story " is. Thanks.

austin, texas
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildlife spotting in Iquitos

We did not see a caiman, but other groups did.

We saw a distant sloth while on the canopy walk and a couple of

"pet" ones when visiting an Amazon tribe.

The "real" story is that this is a wild jungle....the animals are there, but there is some luck in seeing them. The only time a sighting is guaranteed is when you go to one of the refuge type places--like Monkey Island, which I thought was awesome.

I never thought there was any misleading advertising going on.

SoCAL
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildlife spotting in Iquitos

Two questions: First, which Iquitos lodge is supposedly the best in terms of cost and and cleanliness? and Second: what if your trip is in two weeks, is it too late to get the right shots, like Hep. A?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,369 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildlife spotting in Iquitos

You can still get yr shots. The yellow fever one is obligatory for the jungle and you need to take it 10 days in advance.

The Ceiba tops is a popular Lodge on this forum.

7. Re: Wildlife spotting in Iquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, September 01, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Iquitos