We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Cusco SV, MP Help!!

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Central America
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip to Cusco SV, MP Help!!

Xochitl, I need your help please. I arrive in Cusco on Friday March 2, at 7:15 am; however, the trains have already departed by then. How much would a cab charge for taking me from Cusco to Ollantaytumba? I intend to return from MP on saturday March the 3rd in the afternoon towards Cusco. Is it better to take a tour to the SV from Cusco or from Ollantaytumba. Would I really be missing the greatest MP experience if I DO NOT take the Vistadome from Cusco to MP?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Cusco SV, MP Help!!

A cab should cost you around US$ 30 and if you rush it, you can catch the train in Ollanta on the same day you arrive, provided that :

The plane is not late, you can catch a cab quickly and you have yr train tickets (which are non refundable by the way).

No , the Vistadome is just a more confortable train that the Backpacker, but they both arrive to MP and take the same amount of time.

Central America
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Cusco SV, MP Help!!

Thanks Xochitl for your answer.

I have a couple more questions:

¿How long is a cab ride from Cusco to Ollanta (in hours)?

¿Are there one day trips on Sundays to the SV leaving Cusco and returning to Cusco the same day? What would be a reasonable cost for it?

I really appreciate yout help. Thanks again!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Cusco SV, MP Help!!

It should take you about 1:15 for a cab from Cusco to Ollantay.

Yes. You can book a tour from any agency in Cusco or you can hire your own cab with a guide or go at it solo.

Central America
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Cusco SV, MP Help!!

Hello again Xochitl, I have a new question. I appreciate your help.

How much does the entrance to the Machu Picchu sanctuary costs?

Are there other charges once in the ruins or is it just one fee?

The thing is, I am being offered a tour from Cusco to Machu Picchu for US$230, including train fare and everything, but I find it a bit expensive, unles the entrance fee for the sanctuary is really high, that is why I appreciate your comments on this.

Thanks a lot!

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Cusco SV, MP Help!!

"How much does the entrance to the Machu Picchu sanctuary costs?

Are there other charges once in the ruins or is it just one fee?"

In November we paid $76 vistadome from Urubamba to MP(return fare) $38 entrance to MP $12 Bus from Aguas Calientes to MP. no extra charges in MP and you could save the $12 by walking up and down the hill.You have to pay MP entrance each day if you go for more than one day.

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Cusco SV, MP Help!!

And you can see rates for the different trains here:

orient-express.com/web/tper/tper_rates.jsp

or for train from Ollantaytambo combined with bus from Cusco here:

www.machupicchutrain.com

7. Re: Trip to Cusco SV, MP Help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, August 20, 2009