We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Titicaca or Arequipa

England
2 posts
Save Topic
Lake Titicaca or Arequipa

If i had to choose between these two places what would you do????

I have been reading that Lake Titicaca is a tourist trap and full of them, if so is it really still worth going????

Would i be better to go to Arequipa and see the canyons and condors

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Titicaca or Arequipa

Any place where tourists go has the tourist trap Lake T is no worse than many places I have been in fact probably better...having said that if your time is limited I would go to Arequipa as it has a totally different feel from the Sacred valley, Cuzco and MP. we spent 4 days 3 nights going to the Colca and also spent 2 days 3 nights in Arequipa.. lots to see and do there and it's a beautiful city. The Colca canyon also has it's share of Tourist traps and you will find markets everywere.. including at the Cruz del Condor.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,369 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Titicaca or Arequipa

The Colca Canyon is supposed to be the deepest in the world.

Lake T is the highest navegable lake in the world.

Both are tourist places and both offer unique experiences, tough choice.......

Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,730 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Titicaca or Arequipa

Just reread my post didn't mean to make it sound like the Colca isn't worth visitng..we spent 4 days 3 nights and it was fabulous.. just pointing out that there were also tourists there same as lake T. We also spent 2 days in Arequipa.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Titicaca or Arequipa

It really depends on what you're in to...

Titicaca has the floating reed islands and many people arrange for a home stay on Taqulie or Amanati Island.

Colca has the condors, hot springs, lots of opportunities for hikes.

My vote is Colca, but it's a personal choice. The condors were kind of cool, but it was the scenery and hikes in the area I found amazing.

Arequipa is also nice...second largest city in Peru, surrounded by volcanos. El Misti looms in the background where ever you go.

5. Re: Lake Titicaca or Arequipa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, August 24, 2009