We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Higher altitude advise in Cusco

houston
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Higher altitude advise in Cusco

Hi There,

We'll arrive Cusco early morning second week of July and straight we'll go to Urubamba. Me and kids ages 11 and 15 had motion sickness problem. Please advise which medicine we should take before altitude sickness spoil our trip coz I'm very sensitive for motion sickness. If I take motion sickness medicine is that will work for altitude sickness as well or we should take Diamox (Acetazolamide)?...How I can get this medicine in USA?..Any pharmacy or doctor will have to recommend this? Please advise.

Thanks.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,562 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Higher altitude advise in Cusco

Motion sickness is not altitude sickness.

Hope this helps: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294311-c15318/Peru:A…

Also check the several threads about AMS.

Cheers.

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
6,239 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Higher altitude advise in Cusco

Motion sickness and AMS are different diseases , with different medication. US national health guidelines recommend Diamox/acetazolamide if you sleep in Cusco first night , and calls it "benificial and should be considered" for Urubamba. Risks are in the same class as antibiotics , and yes , you need a prescription.

houston
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
3. Re: Higher altitude advise in Cusco

Thanks a lot for your responses. I'll call my Doc to get the prescription.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
100 posts
360 reviews
4. Re: Higher altitude advise in Cusco

We used took the acetazolamide and did not get altitude sickness, however others in our group didn't take it and they didn't get sick either. We were in Cusco for 3 days prior to our Inca Trail trek (4 days). We did notice our hands and feet were tingling which is a side effect. I would understand the side effects prior to taking this and any medication.

houston
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
5. Re: Higher altitude advise in Cusco

Can we get this medicine from over the counter like CVS or Walgreen?..

Thanks.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Higher altitude advise in Cusco

No, but in Peru you can buy Sorojchi pills OTC in Peru. It's basically the same thing.

houston
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
7. Re: Higher altitude advise in Cusco

We gonna arrive Cusco early morning. At the airport we should buy this medicine and then go out?...After that we gonna go to Urubamba. I think we suppose to take this 24hours before arrival?..

Thanks.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
104 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Higher altitude advise in Cusco

Important Correction: I just researched, and they are NOT the same thing. The Sorojchi tablets are a pain killer with caffeine - kind of like excedrin. So it will help with a headache, but will not prevent the problem. Stick with Diamox.

houston
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
9. Re: Higher altitude advise in Cusco

Thanks a lot. Can we get in US without prescription?..

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,730 posts
118 reviews
10. Re: Higher altitude advise in Cusco

No, you can't get it in the USA without a prescription. Also, most likely your regular doctor won't prescribe it. Travel medicine is a specialty and there's a good chance they'll refer you to a local travel clinic.