We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi rate from cusco airport to Ollantaytambo?

Studio City...
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi rate from cusco airport to Ollantaytambo?

what would be current taxi fare from Cusco airport to Ollantaytambo? arriving in June

83 replies to this topic
Victoria, Canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi rate from cusco airport to Ollantaytambo?

My hostel in Ollantaytambo offered a private car to pick me up from cusco. They charge for 100 sole. But I heard many people use colectivo ( a kind of public transportation). It cost 10 sole per person. That's what I was told from my hostel. I am going there in May.

2. Re: Taxi rate from cusco airport to Ollantaytambo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, January 22, 2016

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
46 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi rate from cusco airport to Ollantaytambo?

xochitl, will you please send me your recommendation as well? We will be in Cusco in October. Thanks!

NYC
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi rate from cusco airport to Ollantaytambo?

Hello:

Please send a recommendation to me as well. Thanks!

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
79 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi rate from cusco airport to Ollantaytambo?

Hello xochitl, can you send me your recommendation also?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
24,297 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi rate from cusco airport to Ollantaytambo?

We took www.taxidatum.com

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g294314-i3023-k8342…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g294316-i819-k77991…

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
505 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi rate from cusco airport to Ollantaytambo?

We also used Taxidatum and found them very professional and had quick response times. Price was reasonable to us, $65USD from airport to Ollanta with stops at Moray and Maras. We were picked up at 6:30am and dropped off at our hotel at 11:30am after a morning of sightseeing in the Sacred Valley.

Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi rate from cusco airport to Ollantaytambo?

We just got back and have experience with both a driver and the combi/colectivo. I would say if you are just looking to go from Cusco to Ollantaytambo I would consider the combi. They might ask for 15 soles, but will quickly settle for 10. Real Inka, one of the big operators, actually has modern Mercedes mini-vans. It was easy and relaxed with nice scenery. You will have to be okay listening to Latin music for an hour and a half.

The issue will be luggage. We left our big bags at our Cusco hotel and only brought small carrying bags to Ollantaytambo. We stayed for two nights and had everything we needed. There is nothing to get dressed up for in Ollanta and certainly not for the day on Machu Picchu. I bet even the high-end Sanctuary Lodge is casual.

We hired a driver on the way down to Ollantaytambo. We thought we were going to make stops where we wanted to go, but our driver was intent on following an itinerary where clearly the stops would offer him kickbacks on what we spent. We wanted to go to the Maras salt mine. He wanted an additional $20 (on top of the originally negotiated $70) to go there even though we clearly stated that was one of our destinations from the very beginning. The day was suppose to be 8:30 am-4:30 pm. We were finished around 3:30 pm.

Taxidatum is probably more reliable, but perhaps a tad more expensive. If I had to go again, I would probably ask our very helpful Bell Captain if he knew a reliable taxi driver and negotiate with the driver. I am guessing from I have seen and read a direct taxi to Ollanta should cost $25-35 while depending on the stops a tour of the Sacred Valley will run $50-$75. Two rules seem to prevail when watching costs. Don't book through hotel or inside the airport. Get used to negotiating taxis in Peru.

On the way back, we picked up the combis back to Cusco in Ollanta at the train station. I am a bit unclear as to where you pick up combis in Cusco. While we were dropped off in Plaza San Francisco, many sites mention picking them up at Avenida Grau.

theonlyperuguide.com/2013/…

Plattsburgh, New...
Level Contributor
192 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi rate from cusco airport to Ollantaytambo?

Ours was $40 US, and they accepted US money, which it it very easy. I suggest you book in advance though via your hotel. Even if you pay more, it's worth it so you don't have to haggle with the hundred of cabbies trying to get your attention when you approach.

Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi rate from cusco airport to Ollantaytambo?

There is some comfort in booking taxis through the hotel. During the evenings around Cusco and Lima, we definitely relied on the hotel and restaurants to call taxis. During the day, we just kind of got used to negotiating taxis and my Spanish is limited. If people are heading directly to Ollantaytambo straight from the Cusco airport, it might be best to just go with the Ollantaytambo's hotel's preferred service. Having said that, you might want to negotiate with the hotel if the quoted fare seems to high. There is no such thing as "the going rate" for transportation.

Cusco (and Lima) airport transportation is crazy. Everyone is paying vastly different rates even if they just go a few miles into the old town. As someone who has traveled all over, I cynically think the Peru taxi thing is a sucker's bet designed to extract as much as drivers (and perhaps hotels) can get out of visitors. For the most part drivers were fine and honest, but don't be surprised if one or two try to shortchange you. That's why I tried to not carry larger bills and carry lots of coins. There is also the safety issue that has been discussed a lot here and elsewhere.

Reply to: Taxi rate from cusco airport to Ollantaytambo?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted