We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altitude advise for Cuzco

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bogota, Colombia
2 posts
Save Topic
Altitude advise for Cuzco

After a little bit of advice if anyone can help me out...

I have been living just outside Bogota, Colombia for 4 months at about 3000m and have been doing small walks up and down mountains with little to no trouble. I'm heading to Cuzco to meet up with a friend and am a litle bit worried about altitude sickness because everyone goes on and on about it. Due to work committments I can't fly into Cuzco until thursday morning and we leave friday night for a trek from Vilcabamba to Machu Pichu. Do you think I will have trouble aclimatising or should I be ok seeing as I have lived here for as long as I have.

Other than Coca tea is there anything else we should be doing to help combat altitude sickness? Any advice would be very very much appreciated

Ta.

Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Altitude advise for Cuzco

I took a Diamox prescription on my recent visit to Peru and had no altitude problems and had only very minor side effects from the medication (ie infrequent tingling in hands & feet that would only last a few minutes)

Warrington, Cheshire
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Altitude advise for Cuzco

I'm no expert, but if you've been living at that altitude for 4 months I'd question whether you would have too much of a problem.

Make sure you drink fluids and eat regularly. Mild symptoms include nausea, diarrhoea and of course headaches so simple remedies for these are useful. Especially if you need to be on top form for your trek.

Coca tea is most definitely an aquired taste! You can also apply the leaves with a good blob of saliva on the reverse side and stick them to your forehead, temples and under you eyes if you are suffering. Leave them for half to one hour until they go black (you really do need to give them a good wetting with saliva) and replace. If you can get munya tea that's another remedy and more palatable than coca. Of course coca sweets are on offer as well and taste ok.

All this worked a treat for me and I went from sea level to Titicaca which is higher than Cusco.

I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time, so enjoy your trip,

Gill

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Altitude advise for Cuzco

I agree with above, eventhough its the first time I hear about putting the Coca leaves with saliva over yr forehead and temples.

You should have NO problems with aclimatization once you have been leaving in Bogota for so long.

Warrington, Cheshire
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Altitude advise for Cuzco

The coca leaves thing came from a very lovely guide in Puno who applied it to a few people in the group I travelled with and it did seem to help.... the placebo effect maybe but effective!!

5. Re: Altitude advise for Cuzco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, August 25, 2009