We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 day itinerary Help

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
8 day itinerary Help

We have our tickets and are ready to plan.

I'm traveling with my daughter and both of us speak pretty good Spanish. We are interested in the history but will not want to pay for guides. (We have had ancient civilization classes including Cusco and will read up more before we go)

I've heard to move to a lower elevation once you get to Cusco to aclimate to the altitude better. Is that really necessary if you take it easy for a couple of days. If so, what would you change in the itinerary below:

Day 1:&2 Arrive at Cusco airport in afternoon and settle in accommodations:

??? We are looking for budget accommodations under $30 per person (2)

Take it easy and walk around the Plaza de Armas and churches Buy and use the Boleto Turistico. (It looks like some of the B.T. sites could be skipped in Cusco)

Day 3: Walk to Sacsayhuaman or take a taxi there. Check out Centro Historico (San Blas)

Day 4: Pisac & Tipon loop

Day 5: To Olly (stops on the way)

Day 6: Olly then stay in Aquas Calientes

Day 7: Macchu Picchu Mountain Pass

Day 8: Macchu Picchu????

Day 9: Cusco

I guess I would prefer staying in Cusco the majority of the time with a night in Olly and a night in A.C for Machu Picchu.

Is Cusco the place to be?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,617 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 day itinerary Help

Nothing wrong with your itinerary. It is a little easier for altitude if you stay in Ollanta first, then mp, then finish at your highest spot, Cusco. Makes it less likely you will have issues. But no one knows how altitude will affect you personally. Lots of people start in Cusco without problems.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,093 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 day itinerary Help

I am one that disagrees with the plan of starting in the Sacred Valley, so for starters I would say it is not necessary and you can likely go straight to Cusco if you want.

Finding lodging for under $30 a person will be easy.

I don’t believe you need to spend a night in Ollantaytambo and while Cusco is basically the center of the region, it can be a noisy and busy place to be as well. I also wouldn’t recommend 2 days in Machu Picchu, most of our guests have felt that 5 to6 hours in Machu Picchu is sufficient.

Based on the number of days you have I would recommend the following:

Day 1 – Arrive in Cusco, relax and explore the city

Day 2 - Explore Cusco

Day 3 – Cusco ruins (Saqsaywaman, Quenqo, Pukapukara, & Tambomachay), Explore Cusco City

Day 4 – Sacred Valley by Private car (Cochahuasi Animal Sanctuary, Pisac, Inkariy Museum, & Ollantaytambo)

Day 5 – Southern Valley tour by private car (Tipon, Pikillacta & Church of San Pedro in Andahuaylillas)

Day 6 – Hill top tour by private car (Salineras de Maras, Moray & Chinchero) ending in Olly, late afternoon train to Aguas Calientes, Evening in AC

Day 7 – Machu Picchu, evening train back to Olly, Transport back to Cusco

Day 8 – Explore Cusco, maybe hike to Huchuy Qosqo or visit sites to the west (Zurite, Killarumiyoq, Tarawasi)

Day 9 - Cusco

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 day itinerary Help

It would be nice and easy to have a hub to travel from. That said, there is the traveling everyday and the noise. Is there a quieter area in Cuzco? And how long and how costly are the private tour trips. We plan on taking the Mountain hike at M.P which I heard took four hours so it seems rushed to do that and visit the ruins and catch a train then a bus. However, I don't know the distances and times from place to place there.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,093 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 day itinerary Help

Generally most of Cusco tends to be a bit noisy, but areas away from the Plaza and any main roads will be better, San Blas would be a good choice, but depending on where the accommodation is, you may find yourself climbing a lot of stairs every day.

While there are some variations, generally any of the routes I have listed above would be a full day (6-8 hours) and you can figure somewhere between $75 and $125 for the day depending on things like hiring just a driver or a driver/guide.

For Machu Picchu, I would figure a full day, so spending the night in Aguas Calientes the night before will allow you to get to the entrance at 06:00 if you want. Most of our guests have reported doing Machu Picchu Mountain in about 3 hours, so between 3 and 4 hours is probably a good estimate. Most tours run about 2 hours and considering the bus up and down is only about a 20 minute ride, you should have plenty of time.

You could actually get there at 07:00, do a 2 hour tour, start Machu Picchu Mountain about 09:30 which you should be able to finish by 13:30. Then spend a few hours wandering the site on your own and still have plenty of time to get down to Aguas Calientes, have dinner and then catch a train back to Ollantaytambo, we usually recommend one around 19:00. The trains around 19:00 will get you into Ollantaytambo around 20:30, and you should be back to Cusco around 22:30.

If that seems late to you then you could stay one additional night and then take a morning train back to Cusco on the following day.

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 day itinerary Help

Thanks Lyle, that helps. If I don't stay in Cuzco first, I've thought about Urubamba to acclimate to the altitude and take some day trips from there and then finish my trip in Cusco. Do you know if there private cars for hire or taxis that could take us to: Moray & Las Maras, Pisaq, Chinchero, Ollantaytambo.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,093 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 day itinerary Help

There are plenty of taxis that you could hire, or you could also ask your hotel to arrange a driver for you, there are also a few agencies with websites, here is one if you want to check them out. http://www.cuscolocalfriend.com/

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 day itinerary Help

Thanks, I believe I have enough to share and decide a good itinerary.

8. Re: 8 day itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 30, 2016