We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary question

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
1 post
Save Topic
Itinerary question

Hi Xochitl and everyone -

I am a 29 y/o from NYC and will be visiting the Cusco area with a friend for the first time from 11/3 - 11/8. I created the itinerary below based on the many great threads on this forum. I was hoping that someone could review and suggest any additions/changes. Note: none of my hotels have yet been booked, but I would like to book the KR once I finalize the itinerary:

Fri 11/3 - Arrive in Cusco at 11:15 AM, taxi to Sacred Valley - Rest for the day

Sat 11/4 - Pisac, Ollantaytambo, Chinchero, Maras and Moray (Question: is one day enough to see all of this?)

Sun 11/5 - Take AM train to MP, tour ruins, stay in Aguas Calientes for the night (Question: would you generally recommend going to/from MP in one day or staying overnight in Aguas Calientes?)

Mon 11/6 - Watch sunrise at MP, take train to Cusco - Plaza de Armas, Cathedral, Church of La Compañia, San Blas district and the Chruch pulpit

Tues 11/7 - Cusco - Korikancha temple, Ruins of Sacsayhuaman, Puca Pucara and Tambomachay

Wed 11/8 - Flight from Cusco to Lima at 3:15 PM

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Marvin

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,147 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary question

If you plan to stay at the KR, better book it ASAP as it is getting full.

Sat 11/4 : To much to cover in a single day.You need at least 2 days to cover all this.

Sun 11/5 : Stay the extra day in AC to re-visit MP and do the Huayna Picchu trek.

Mon 11/6 : You will probably arrive late in the afternoon to Cusco.You will gain some time if you get off the train in Ollantaytambo and taxi back to Cusco City. Claudia can arrange for this and you can leave yr luggage at the KR and go light to MP.

If you are so short of time, you can cut the night at MP and add an extra one in the SV.All the rest looks fine to me.

lambayeque peru
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary question

I've been to Cusco a few times.

For Sat 11/4 I would book a tour (the day before should be enough time) and let them take you around. That will probably include only 3 of the sites but Pisac is quite a climb and nothing is really that close together. Its also nice to have a tour guide to explain what they think the incans were doing, otherwise the ruins run together and look like big rock gardens.

I've done MP twice and both times I went for the day but I recommend doing it that way. I think 1 day is more than enough to explore the whole site, climb Huaynu Picchu (do that first they only let in 400 ppl/day) and get lots of cool pictures. I think Aguas Calientes (now called the 'Machu Picchu Pueblo' - give me a break) is a total tourist trap. Doing MP in a day is a lonngg day (train ride is about 4 hours one way, even with the vistadome) but you can make it shorter by hopping off the train earlier. If you don't take the advice of getting off in Ollantaytambo (still about 2 hours from Cusco) DEFINITELY get off in Remay (Cusco expert can you confirm that spelling?). From Remay you are about 20 min from the Cusco plaza by car but you'd still have an hour to go on the train. You'll know you're in Remay because the train will stop and you'll see people outside with signs that say "Cusco Plaza 15 min". The short bus ride should cost S/5.00.

Oh also if you get there too late to climb Huayna Picchu, or just want a more gradual (easier?) hike, you can walk up the end of the Inca Trail to the Sun Temple/Sun Gate. Its not as close to the ruins so you won't get the same views, but its the same altitude as Huaynu Picchu and you'll get really cool pictures of the road down to Aguas Calientes.

Depending on when you get back to Cusco, you'll have time to explore the city and maybe see one of the ruins you missed on Saturday. Maybe go see Las Salineras - natural salt fields on the side of a mountain, you can see how they harvest the salt, its super neat and when the ruins all run together in your mind you'll definitely remember having seen these (not included on your tourist ticket though)

And not to totally screw up your schedule, but I think I'd recommend seeing the smaller ruins (Sacred Valley and Chincero, Pisac, etc.) before you go see Machu Picchu. After you've seen Machu Picchu the other ruins seem really small and insignifant, and I think you'd appreciate them a lot more if you hadn't see Machu Picchu yet

3. Re: Itinerary question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, August 23, 2009