We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day tours in Cuzco

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
636 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Day tours in Cuzco

We are visiting Peru with a tour company. We have one day in Cuzco. The morning optional tour ($49. pp) sounds good: visiting a market, a cemetery, and meeting with an Andean shaman. However, the additional cooking lesson wasn't an interest of my husband and not so much for me either. The afternoon optional tour ($59. pp) really sounds good: the Colonial Cathedral in Cuzco the Temple of the Sun, the Sacsayhuaman, the Kenko amphitheater then shopping. I have always been leary of a tour's "shopping stop" I don't like paying for the time to shop when I'm really not that interested in it. I've found it to be a waste of time. Given the itinerary of the tours and the prices, does anyone suggest that we look for another way of seeing Cuzco independently of the tour company? Is there a website that has day or partial day tours? Or, do you think the tour company has good itineraries for the two optional tours at a fair price? We will be staying at the Jose Antonio Cuzco Hotel. Is that close to things to do and see on our own?

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day tours in Cuzco

I don't know if you will find the Andean Shaman on your own and I honestly don't think a cemetery will be that fantastic but you can easily wander around the Plaza De Armas on your own and it wont cost nearly that much. To see Sacsayhuaman I suggest hiring a taxi to take you up to it and then walk back down into Cusco. Here is a link to a map of Cusco with places of interest to give you a better idea of just how easy it is to see Cusco on your own.

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day tours in Cuzco

Your hotel is not in the old part of Cusco, so you will need to walk or take a taxi to the Plaza de Armas, probably a taxi would be better

I have never gone to the Cusco Cementery, only to the Yucay Cementery but not for a tourist visit

The price sounds kind of high, maybe a local travel agency recommended by your hotel could give you a better price and you can decide which option is better for you.

All of these tours pass by a local tourist shop, it also bothers me that you have to stop at these places for half an hour instead of visiting or staying more time at a specific and more interesting place, but this is how it is, and I always try not to buy anything from them......

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,817 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day tours in Cuzco

Unless it also includes the Boleto Turistico which you need for entrance to the ruins, the price for the afternoon tour sounds extremely high. For two people, that's $120. I think we only paid 100 soles for a taxi for half a day to take us to Sacsayhuaman, Quenko, plus nearby Puca Pucara and Tombomachay. Then we paid maybe another 40 soles total for one guides that we picked up at the entrance to a couple of the sites. The Sun Temple is in the middle of Cusco and you could easily have the taxi drop you there after the ruins so you could walk through it on your own. The night before, just ask your hotel to arrange a taxi for you the next morning.

And as you noted, on the "shopping" portion of the tour, you'll waste half an hour or an hour at a shop they pick out for you instead of seeing places you'd rather visit.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
636 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day tours in Cuzco

Are there always guides for hire at the entrance to Sacsayhuman? What would you say are must see places in Cusco when we only have one day?

5. Re: Day tours in Cuzco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 27, 2015