We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish School for Older Traveler

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington
Level Contributor
23 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Spanish School for Older Traveler

Hello - I am traveling to Peru and hope to spend my first and/or second week studying Spanish in Cusco. I am looking for recent experiences or recommendations. I have some rudimentary Spanish from listening to CDs and traveling elsewhere in South and Central America - I want to step up my game. I am a US national, 50 and will be traveling alone for the first part of this trip, so I am interested in a comfortable immersion program. That is, I don't need luxury - just private bath and security and clean. This will be in late August and early September. Thanks all!

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish School for Older Traveler

Hi!

I studied Spanish at FairServices (fairplay-peru.org/en/…) in January/February of 2012 in Cusco. Their classes are one on one and they have fantastic teachers. The teachers are all single moms that have been trained by the org to be Spanish teachers, which helps them to support their kids. I'm back there now taking Quechua classes. I also did a homestay with them last year and volunteered with their afterschool program for 9 months. They are a great organization. Feel free to message me if you have any questions I can answer.

Kelly

Washington
Level Contributor
23 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish School for Older Traveler

Thanks for responding Kelly. Any tips on housing? I'd like to do immersion and stay with a family for a week, but I would prefer some privacy like my own bathroom, and security for my stuff. (Ropa sucia and a camera, more or less.) Is that possible? --Jay

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish School for Older Traveler

With housing in family immersion programs, you will typically find that you will be offered a room, but with shared bathroom facilities. Perhaps your chosen Spanish school can help you find family accommodations that includes what you are looking for. I found that 4 hours of classes per day of 1 on 1 intense Spanish was enough to immerse me! Highly recommended is Proecto Peru, small but very good teachers - http://en.proyectoperucentre.org/index.html

Edited: 7:35 am, July 24, 2013
4. Re: Spanish School for Older Traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:24 am, July 26, 2014