We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help With What To Do Before And After Our Trek To MP

NewYork
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help With What To Do Before And After Our Trek To MP

I have booked a trek on the Salkantay Trail with Mountain Lodges of Peru.

We will fly in to Lima on Saturday morning Oct. 19th and Fly out of Lima midnight Sat Nov 2.

Our trek will start Wed Oct. 23. returning to Cusco late Oct 30th.

We have 3 1/2 day before our trek and 3 1/2 day after still to plan.

Any ideas would be a big help. Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
306 posts
660 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help With What To Do Before And After Our Trek To MP

We did something similar, just returned from a Salkantay trek with Mountain Lodges. You will have a great experience!

In our case we spent 3 days in Lima, then 3 days in Cuzco, then did the trek, 2 days at Machu Picchu, and flew home from Cuzco the next day. Lima was enjoyable but we liked the Sacred Valley more. Possibly spend one day in Lima to see some of the downtown historic sites? Then fly the next morning to Cuzco, which would give you 2+ days to acclimate to altitude before starting your trek.

You can find lots of Sacred Valley itineraries here, we spent 1/2 day at Pisac (market and ruins), a full day seeing Chinchero/Maras salt mines/Moray/Ollantaytambo, and a day touring Cuzco and were happy with that. Depends what you want to do with your time, though, there are many options.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,593 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help With What To Do Before And After Our Trek To MP

You need to spend the days prior to the trek in Cusco area to get acclimatized to the high altitude.

I recommend you choose the Sacred Valley area as it will make it easier for your organism as it is lower in altitude than Cusco city.

Visit Lima at the end of your trip.

NewYork
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help With What To Do Before And After Our Trek To MP

Do you think we would have time to trek down the Colca Valley and see Lake Titicaca with the time we have?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
306 posts
660 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help With What To Do Before And After Our Trek To MP

Yes, I think you could do that, especially if you're up for the expense of airfare. Lake Titicaca is also at high altitude, so that could be part of your acclimatizing. I didn't visit those spots, but some friends of ours spent about 3 days visiting Arequipa and Puno (near Colca Canyon and Lake Titcaca) before going to Cuzco, so it is definitely possible. You'd have to check into the flight schedules.

5. Re: Help With What To Do Before And After Our Trek To MP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:32 am, August 21, 2013
Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,961 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help With What To Do Before And After Our Trek To MP

Based on what we have heard from our guests I would say stay in Cusco prior to your Trek, from the comments I have herd, the guests that have stayed in Cusco prior to their trek, have had an easier time than those that have stayed in the Sacred Valley. From what I have read, it can take a person 1-3 day to acclimate, so if you happen to be a 3 day person, you will be better off staying in Cusco.

During the 3 days prior you can visit the local sites, Cusco City, Sacred Valley, and Southern Valley. I think visiting Colca and/or Titicaca would be pushing it, even if you flew. You definitely wouldn't want to plan it during the first 3 days as you don’t know how well you will adjust to the altitude, if you happen to adjust fine and have no symptoms, it would be ok to go to a higher elevation. If you don’t adjust well and are feeling the effects of AMS, if would be foolish to travel to a higher altitude. As for the last 3 days, there are many options for flights, and time wise it would be possible to visit one of the locations, I just think it would be pushing it.

I would suggest spending the day after the trek to relax and see any sites in Cusco that you may not have seen on the first 3 days, and fly from Cusco to Lima on the 1st. This will give you a little time to explore Lima as well as a buffer in the event your flight out of Cusco is delayed or cancelled, keep in mind that you are traveling at the start of the rainy season and it is possible that your flight times may be effected by the weather.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
125 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help With What To Do Before And After Our Trek To MP

Just back from 9 days in Lima, Cusco and MP.

Had a half day at either end in Lima. That was more than enough. Barranco District in Lima is worth an afternoon.

We spent our first day and a half taking it easy meandering around Cusco. I'd definitely recommend it just in case you have any altitude related issues.

We had a full day touring Pisac ruins and the market, then Q'enco, Tambomachay, and Sacsayhuaman on the way back to Cusco-- it was definitely worth the time. Victor Flores was our driver and he was great -- victortour(at)gmail.com. We also used him from/to the airport and to/from Wanchaq bus station for the trip to MP.

Probably our most memorable day after MP was a full-day horseback ride from Urabamba to Salineras, Maras, and Moray with Cusco for You. The ride through the Sacred Valley is incredibly beautiful and Adriana the owner/guide makes the trip very special.

Edited: 10:12 pm, May 29, 2013
8. Re: Help With What To Do Before And After Our Trek To MP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 31, 2014