We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After 4 weeks in Cusco- Amazon, Arequipa, or Lake Titicaca?

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
After 4 weeks in Cusco- Amazon, Arequipa, or Lake Titicaca?

My husband and I will be spending 4 weeks in Cusco, June 22-July 20 for a study program. During that time we will hike the Inca Trail, visit Machu Picchu, and visit most of the ruins and sites around Cusco. We have an extra 3 day period at the end of our trip before flying out of Lima and are trying to decide where to go, or if we should just enjoy Cusco and 2 days in Lima.

I am looking at 3 day/2 night stays at a couple Amazon lodges (Posada Amazonia or Sotupa Eco House), a 2 night stay in Arequipa, or a visit to Lake Titicaca. Would love some opinions and suggestions as to what might be the best option. We will have had 4 weeks in Cusco and many opportunities to visit ruins, museums, etc. so would like something that would offer a different look at Peru before we leave the country. We will have all vaccinations except Yellow Fever as our doctor said it is not advised for people over 60 due to side effects (my husband is 66) so I don't know if that will be a factor for the Amazon. We still have time to get the vaccination but my husband is not to keen on it. I appreciate all suggestions and advice!

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,049 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After 4 weeks in Cusco- Amazon, Arequipa, or Lake Titicaca?

Not much activity here on the Cusco forum...would love some advice.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
533 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After 4 weeks in Cusco- Amazon, Arequipa, or Lake Titicaca?

If you only have 3 days then I would spend it in Lima - there is quite a lot to see. You could go to Arequipa as well, but then you'll likely be rushing at the end.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After 4 weeks in Cusco- Amazon, Arequipa, or Lake Titicaca?

There is not a big risk of yellow fever. The shot is just recommended to protect public health in case of an outbreak (YF is endemic).

You will have had plenty of time in Cusco already. Lima is a big sprawling city, but has great museums and an interesting historic district, plus great seafood. However not everyone enjoys big sprawling cities with lots of traffic and noise.

That amount of time is short for Arequipa, but doable for L. Titicaca. You could take the Inka Express bus one-way (it makes touristic stops and takes a full day). And then fly back from Juliaca to Lima.

4. Re: After 4 weeks in Cusco- Amazon, Arequipa, or Lake Titicaca?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 17, 2014