We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu solo

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Machu Picchu solo

Hi All,

I am traveling to Cusco end of May for my cousin's wedding and have a free day to check out Machu Picchu. Unfortunately, everyone I am traveling with has already seen it so if I wanted to go, I would have to go by myself. Two questions:

1) Is the easiest way to get a PeruRail train ticket and purchase a ticket for MP in Cusco

2) Should I be concerned about traveling by myself? The US travel warning has me a bit concerned

Thanks

Windsor, Colorado
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Machu Picchu solo

My husband and I are going in June. We were a little concerned about he warning but figured its such a huge tourist thing for Peru that they would not low hat to continue long because it would hurt them badly.

Second, have you already purchased a ticket to get into Machu Picchu? My understanding is you can only get into the ruins if you have a ticket which needs to be bought well in advance. As there is a limited number of tickets per day. I do not know if they save tickets for people on a 'walk up' basis. Good luck!

jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Machu Picchu solo

Forget the us warnings, typical usa getting things wrong, as for MP tickets and train, you can do it when you get to cusco, you only need to book the trek in advance.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Machu Picchu solo

You can buy your train tickets online if you have the right type of credit card.

There is also a Peru Rail kiosk in Lima airport.

The popular train types and times sell out in advance. Since you know which date you are going, buy the train ticket now. www.perurail.com

The Machu Picchu ticket you can buy in Offices in Cusco when you arrive, or have a friend buy it for you . Info at www.machupicchu.gob.pe explains the options.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
151 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Machu Picchu solo

I was alone in Cusco when the travel warning came out. Everything was business as usual. The warning was due to 2 Americans who stopped posting on FB when they went to the jungle. One of the Mums launched an all-out campaign to force the Peruvian government to hunt down her son to make sure he was alright. The travel advisory came out at the same time as this event. The advisory has been lifted.

I've been in touch with many people who are going there.

I would not hesitate to send my own children. It's as safe as it's always been. Yes, you can travel alone.

You already got the info on the tickets.

Have a great time.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Machu Picchu solo

Definitely safe to visit and as JacquieAdios said, the warning has been lifted.

As fas as tickets go, you should be Okay getting them here as long as you don't want to do Huayna Picchu, while the MP tickets occasionally sell out (mainly in June and July) the HP tickets regularly sell out.

6. Re: Machu Picchu solo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 19, 2014