We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Common to use Western Union to pay deposits for treks?

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Common to use Western Union to pay deposits for treks?

Hi, I am planning to do the Salkantay Trek with BioAndean in May, and I have never been requested used Western Union before. I am just wondering if this is a common request for paying deposits with Peruvian tour companies. Bioandean seem very legit based on a lot of internet research, but I am just a bit skeptical, as I am used to making deposits with credit cards!

I am really looking forward to our time in Peru!

Charlotte, North...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Common to use Western Union to pay deposits for treks?

I have the same question!

London, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Common to use Western Union to pay deposits for treks?

We paid our deposit via Paypal. Everything went well for us.

Alexandria, Va
Level Contributor
202 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Common to use Western Union to pay deposits for treks?

Yes, a lot of Peruvian companies use Western Union.

Huaraz, Peru
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Common to use Western Union to pay deposits for treks?

Hi neven7

Western union is reliable to Send money online or at an Agent Location around the world and you can also use your credit cards.

Many local travel agencies use this method because paypal doesn’t allow local agencies to receive money in peru.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Common to use Western Union to pay deposits for treks?

Hi, thanks for your reassuring messages! :)

Southern California
Level Contributor
37 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Common to use Western Union to pay deposits for treks?

For whatever it's worth, I just used Western Union last night, online, with my credit card and Western Union cancelled the transaction. They sent an email to me saying sorry for the inconvenience, you can try again or use an agent........

We called our credit card company and they said they didn't issue the cancellation.

My 2nd attempt will probably be in person, with an agent, with cash. I always prefer the security of using a credit card, but now I'm unsure.

Has this happened to anyone? A quick qoogle search came up with posts from 2010 or later (not on tripadvisor).

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Common to use Western Union to pay deposits for treks?

The exact same thing happened to me. I chatted with the online customer service agent who was not helpful at all. I tried again with direct bank details, which also got cancelled before I was able to confirm it. At that point I decided I was too frustrated with Western Union and just decided to go with my 2nd choice company who accepted Paypal. I am currently abroad, so sorting out finding a Western Union agent to get this sorted isn't high on my list of things to do.

It's too bad that it's such a hassle, as I was quite keen to book with a completely local company.

Hopefully others have better luck!!

jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Common to use Western Union to pay deposits for treks?

Western union is safe, but doesn't offer you credit card protection.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Common to use Western Union to pay deposits for treks?

Exactly. Wiring money gets you nothing but crossed fingers.

10. Re: Common to use Western Union to pay deposits for treks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 16, 2014