We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage question- wheelie or backpack?

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
157 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage question- wheelie or backpack?

We are going to Peru in June. Cuzco, Olly, AC ...staying in hotels. My question is: are wheelie bags ok ( we have small ones) or would a backpack be better?? Thanks

Houston
Level Contributor
786 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage question- wheelie or backpack?

My wheelies weigh 11 pounds in hardware. I don't prefer them at all. For being on the go, back packs and brightly colored shoulder bags are easier for me.

I do often use my wheelies for fragile hauls--example: Christmas gifts.

When you are climbing stairs in various cities/hotels, it seems that there is no standard for step height. A backpack was easier for me in Puno and Cuzco because it freed both my hands for the tripping protection/catching.

Edited: 2:52 am, February 08, 2013
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage question- wheelie or backpack?

I think it depends. I have traveled with a very lightweight small wheelie (Heys type that fits in the overhead) and a duffle bag. It works out pretty well, especially if I need to put the luggage on top of a local combi or inside a dirty bus cargo hold. I usually if not always take taxis to my lodging, so if you are staying somewhere that a taxi can't get to, you may want to do the backpack.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,362 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage question- wheelie or backpack?

I used wheeled luggage on my trip in October and it was no problem at all.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Peru
Level Contributor
5,309 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage question- wheelie or backpack?

I prefer wheeled luggage as well. Heavy backpacks and altitude sickness do not go well together.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage question- wheelie or backpack?

Good point MayFlower. I also like the extra security provided by wheelies, eg you can keep an eye and hand on them at all times, and at least the polycarbonate ones are slash proof.

Edited: 12:26 pm, February 09, 2013
6. Re: Luggage question- wheelie or backpack?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 pm, June 17, 2013
7. Re: Luggage question- wheelie or backpack?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 19, 2014