We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Machu Picchu

I'm looking for some advice for my upcoming trip to Peru at the end of January, 2013.

I plan to take a 2 day trek to MP--1 day hike on the Inca Trail and stay in Aguas Caliente for the night. However, I have a few extra days and I'm trying to decide what to do with them.

I'll be in Peru for a total of one week, so I can probably squeeze in 1 or 2 more things. Is Lima worth the visit? Or should I go to Puno or the Sacred Valley? What about Colca Canyon?

Thanks for any suggestions!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Machu Picchu

If you're only booking 2 days between Macchu Picchu, the Sacred Valley and Cusco, I think you can safely add the few extra days there and not run out of things to see.

Check www.andeantravelweb.com for good info on Peru especially the Cusco /SV area. A tour of Pisac and Ollantaytambo are especially worthwhile, and at least a day and night in Cusco .

However if you need to connect to an international flight or cruise out of Lima, go back to Lima the night before you depart (not day of). Flights are cancelled and delayed into Lima from Cusco all year long, but in rainy season there is even greater chance of problems. (Late September there were some heavy storms that shut the Cusco airport down for a day or two).

Atlanta, Georgia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Machu Picchu

Thanks for the info... Would you suggest a trip to Titicaca and back (1 day there and 1 day back) while I'm there? Is that worth seeing over some of the other sights closer to Cuzco?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Machu Picchu

Why not decide when you arrive? You may find you have a bit of downtime due to altitude and need to spend the first day doing nothing. You may enjoy the restaurants and bars in Cusco (which Puno cannot hold a candle to). You may fall in love with the Sacred Valley.

Also, If the weather is rainy, I wouldn't take that long and somewhat dodgy bus ride to Puno . Also note that if the altitude affects you to any degree in Cusco, you probably are going to have at least a headache in Puno.

But if you think you've had a good taste of the SV and MP, and the weather is good, you may want to go. It's a personal choice.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Machu Picchu

Of course Lima is worth a visit.

January is in the rainy season so you can expect some flight delays in Cusco.

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Machu Picchu

if you can visit the island of uros on lake titikaka for an overnight you it'll make a huge difference - the sites near cuzco get old pretty quickly after seeing manchu pichu, but the island of uros is so amazing!

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Machu Picchu

Lake Titicaca is definatly worth seeing, but so Is Cusco. I second the recomendation to decide once you are here. If you do decide to visit Lake Titicaca I would plan on catching a 10pm bus, this will get you there in the morning so you will have a full day in Puno.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Machu Picchu

I would disagree with any recommendation to take a night bus between Cusco and Puno. Taking a tourist service during the day with stops is a better experience as well as being safer.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Machu Picchu

If you choose a company with a good safety record you should be fine, my wife and I regularly take overnight busses on certain trips. While overall bus company statistics are available (unfortunately the most recent one they show is 2010)

mtc.gob.pe/portal/…20OGQ-actual.pdf

I have not been able to found any numbers showing a difference between day and night travel, traveling at night is always a higher risk due to reduced visibility but if you choose a good carrier, you should be fine. Ultimately I think you have 4 options to consider.

1. Take a flight from Cusco to Juliaca and either stay there or take a bus to Puno.

2. Take an overnight bus to Puno, arrive in the morning, have a full day to spend in Puno and catch a morning buss back to Cusco on the following day which will arrive in Cusco around 4pm

3. Take a morning bus from Cusco to Puno, arrive in the evening, spend the following day in Puno, and take a morning buss on day 3 back to Cusco, arriving it the early evening.

4. take a train, my least favorite option as it can take as long as the bus and cost as much as a flight.

9. Re: Machu Picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, December 02, 2012
Edited: 8:35 pm, December 02, 2012
Clifton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Machu Picchu

great tips! I'm actually going to Lima and I'm interested in going to Machu Pichu for 3 days But I can't get a 3 day trip (like a package) in any website.

How would you recomend me to do this? Should I just book everything separately. I'm staying in Lima with friends so I guess I could book a flight from Lima to Cusco; Book a hotel in cusco and from there go to Machu pichu?

unless anyone has another suggestion?