We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time in Cusco?

Boston...
Level Contributor
21 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
How much time in Cusco?

Hi,

I am traveling to Peru in late October and arrive in Lima late Saturday night. I plan on flying out to Cusco first thing on Sunday morning and spending all day Sunday and all day Monday in Cusco and will leave for the Sacred Valley on Tuesday morning.

My question was: are 2 days sufficient for Cusco? I am trying to book my flight back to Lima for the following Saturday and am deciding between leaving early morning and spending the day in Lima or taking an afternoon flight to get the morning in Cusco.

So the tradeoff is an additional morning in Cusco vs. an entire day in Lima. My flight back to the US is late Saturday night.

Thanks!

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time in Cusco?

Always better to fly on the morning.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
18 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time in Cusco?

Just got back from Peru on Saturday, Sept. 15. We spent a week there. Late arrival Saturday and early flight to Cusco Sunday am. In my opinion I would think two days were enough in Cusco and opt for a full day in Lima. We spent a full day in Lima and it gave us a slightly different perspective on Peru. It is a big city with some nice restaurants and I am sure you would find something that would interest you for a day. We liked Cusco a lot. We did not visit all of the archeological sites there. We stayed in a hotel near the Plaza de Armas and ate dinner at the Inka Grill. We liked the cathedrals there but did not tour them. We also went to Qoricancha which was interesting. For us just walking around town was enough, but everyone is different and you may be interested in all the historical sites. We never toured Sacsayhuaman but on our cab ride to Urubamba we stopped at the statue of Jesus where we could view Cusco and Sacsayhuaman below. I hope this helps.

Boston...
Level Contributor
21 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time in Cusco?

Thanks for your responses, that was very helpful! Bryan, what hotel did you stay at in Cusco?

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
18 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time in Cusco?

We stayed at the Tierra Viva Cusco Saphi. It is about a 10 minute walk or 3 blocks to the Plaza de Armas depending on how fast you walk. On the way back it is a slight gradual uphill walk but not steep. We found it convenient. You walk past a police station on the way that helped us feel safer, although we felt safe anyway. It was a little pricey but they had some kind of sale for rooms in the winter. We felt it was clean and nice with a decent breakfast consisting of scrambled eggs, bread, coffee, yogurt, juice, sliced cheese, ham, and some type of sausages. We felt it was conveniently located.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
65 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time in Cusco?

If you have 7 day 4 in Cusco that included Sacred Valley and 3 in Lima and take the tours instead of sleeping in Sacred V....remenber MachuP is almost 1 day leaving by train 5 am returned 5 pm (some like that)

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time in Cusco?

I dont suggest to start your nights in Cusco because the altitude is several 1000 feet higher. Tour agencies love for you to stay there so they can sell you those awful pool bus tours that include mostly shopping and eating and waiting for other tourists.

Do youself a favor and start in Pisac or Ollantaytambo (depending on the timing of your stay). It is better to take the MP train from Ollantaytambo, not Cusco. If you want to see the Cusco ruins then 3 nights there, if just the city two nights before you fly back. Lima is worth flying back in the morning before the day you leave.

Do not book a pm flight from Cuz to Lima if you can avoid it as they are iften cancelled .(yesterday for example the last two LAN flights from Cuz to LIM showed Cancelado)'

Edited: 8:24 am, September 30, 2012
Calgary
Level Contributor
55 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time in Cusco?

Interesting observation on canceled flights.

In your opinion, is there a risk of canceled flights on late LIM -> CUZ routes too? Been trying to piece together our itinerary and never really considered that the flights could be canceled.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time in Cusco?

Hi

Start your trip going to ollantaytambo ( its an inca citadel) .spend at least a night there.. The train station to aguas calientes (machu picchu) is right there. Once you are back in cusco check if you want to take the rest of the tours. Consider to take the flight back to lima the latest 1 pm. I go to cusco almost every year..youll enjoy it

good luck

Good

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time in Cusco?

Later flights are riskier in either direction, although it may be worse going from Cusco.

Pecatonica, Illinois
Level Contributor
417 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much time in Cusco?

We stayed three days in the Sacred Valley BEFORE we went to Machu Picchu and then finished up with two days in Cusco. We went to the Chocolate Museum, Sacsayhuaman, and also went to a Peruvian cooking class. We thought two days was ample time there, and enjoyed a day in Lima. Really, you'll want to see the square and maybe go to the fountain park at night. They have over a dozen huge fountains timed with music and lights and we really enjoyed that. Just make sure to arrange a taxi in Lima from your hotel so that you are sure you have a safe and secure ride.