We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sacred valley self guided tour

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sacred valley self guided tour

Hi, We want to do a tour ourselves from Cusco to Ollantaytambo starting in the morning till end of the day. We want to visit Pisac ruins and market, Urubamba, Moray and Maras and if possible then Chinchero. We want this to complete in the evening by ending in Ollantaytambo.

Can you recomend the best way to do this. Is it possible to do this using public transport and a combination of taxi?

Also, we will be travelling with luggage so what will be the most practical way. Will leaving luggage in taxi be safe?

There are guided tours that offer a similar plan but they complete back in Cusco and we wanted to stay in Olly to get a train to MP next morning rather than coming back to Cusco. Many thanks

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,289 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sacred valley self guided tour

The only way to do it with your luggage is to rent a cab for the day and do the trip starting by Pisac and then going towards Ollantaytambo via Urubamba and up to Maras, Moray and Chinchero to then go back and to Olly.

Its a long day but can be done but only if you have a car for your use, with a driver

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sacred valley self guided tour

You could still join a tour and rather than return to Cusco just leave the tour and stay in Ollantaytambo but I agree it will be much easier and quicker hiring a car and driver for the day especially having luggage with you. Just so you know most hotels and hostals in Cusco will store your luggage for you while you go to Machu Picchu so you could just bring a small bag for the couple dyas and pcim the majority of your luggage up in Cusco when you return.

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sacred valley self guided tour

Thanks JodoKats and Xochitil,

Can you advise how to go about booking taxi . Can we do it on arrival at Cusco? I woudl prefer to do in advance if possible. How mcuh can I expect to pay for day hire for the entore day for the taxi?

Thanks

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sacred valley self guided tour

You can browse the forum for recommended guides, ask your hotel to arrange the pickup and tour, or negotiate with a taxi at the airport.

It might cost you anywhere from $60 to $150.

5. Re: Sacred valley self guided tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, September 19, 2012
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sacred valley self guided tour

You won't be able to see all of that in a day, IMO. We hired a private taxi and guide (from Andean People, booked through our hotel Andenes al Cielo) and asked for a similar itinerary, but they said it was too much for one day. They were right. We were with them from 8.30am until 6pm and visited Chinchero, then Moras and Moray, then lunch in Urubamba, then on to Ollentaytambo.

We went to Pisac a separate day and spent 5 hours there, and it was well worth those 5 hours. The ruins alone take a minimum of 2, and deserve 3 hours. It's very easy and cheap to get the public bus from Cusco to Pisac.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
73 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sacred valley self guided tour

While it might be doable, I think it makes for way too long of a day and therefore probably unenjoyable. We arranged for a taxi (no guide) through our hotel in Cusco once we got there. We did Sacsayhuaman and Pisac (with other stops along the way) going from Cusco to Ollantaytambo, with overnight in Olly before MP. Then we did Olly to Cusco via Maras, Moray and Chincheros. We paid 180 soles each way which I thought was reasonable for a full day of private driver. We liked having the flexibility of chosing our route with stops along the way to take in the views, taking as long as we wanted at each stop, and also not having to worry about our luggage. Note that, if you wish, there are guides for hire at the ruins.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
76 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sacred valley self guided tour

Yes, the best bet is a cab hired through your hotel. Guides can be hired outside of the ruins in Pisac and Ollantaytambo at minimal cost.

And, yes, it's a lot for one day. Pisac ruins 1 1/2 hours. Ollantaytambo ruins 2 hours. 1 hour Moray. Then there is travel time, i.e. 1 hour Cusco to Pisac, 1 1/2 hours Cusco to Urubamba. 1 hour Urubamba to Ollantaytambo.

We paid 80/s Ollantaytambo to Moray to Urubamba (got the cab from the plaza) and 100/s Cusco to Chinchero to Urubamba (cab arranged by hotel).

I would suggest that you do Pisac, Sacsayhuaman... on a separate day entirely round trip from Cusco.

San Jose
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Sacred valley self guided tour

The itinerary of Wanderlust_beckons is actually exactly what I intend to do for my Christmas trip, before I see all the suggestions here.

Is it possible to book a private driver for the route from Pisac to Ollan, and decide later on the way where to go depending on how much time we will spend on each individual sites? For example, if we stay in Pisac for too long, we will have to head to Ollan directly without visiting Moras and Moray. But if time allows after Pisac, we can stop by Moras/Moray before Ollan.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sacred valley self guided tour

Our driver said you had to pick between Moras/Moray and Pisac - you head different directions out of Cusco, so you really traverse a lot of extra ground if you try to do those 3 in one day. See map here:

andeantravelweb.com/peru/…sacredvalley.html

It's about an hour from Cusco to Pisac, and about 2 hours from Cusco to Ollantaytambo. Moras/Moray are not on the way from Pisac to Ollantaytambo.

Of course, you can try to negotiate whatever you like with your driver.