We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu

aurora
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Machu Picchu

I will be traveling to Peru in November with my husband, brother and mother. I have been looking into purchasing tickets to MP. The website says that the tickets are around $150 USD. I have come across some hotels (one specifically being Torre Dorada in Cusco) that offer to put together tours for travels and the cost of the entrance fee is $50. Is there a reason why it is significantly cheaper for the hotel? I'm getting so stressed planning this trip. Its one of my dream trips so I don't want to miss anything, but I also want to be aware of scams. Has anyone else planned trips to Machu Picchu via their hotel?

Mentioned in this post
Peru
Peru
South America
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
85 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Machu Picchu

the 150 figure is in peruvian soles, not USD.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Machu Picchu

Although the website is in English, the price for entry fee quoted is in Peruvian Nuevo Soles. The website today says the tickets are 128 Peruvian soles, not $$. (150 PEN for MP & Museum). Depending on exchange rates, that would be roughly $49 each at today's rate. So, no significant difference between what is on the website & what Torre Dorada would charge you (depending on exchange rates at time of purchase).

While tickets for Peruvians are indeed cheaper than for tourists from other countries, you will not be getting the cheaper tickets for the Peruvians, regardless of who purchases them.

Other forum members have posted that Torre Dorada purchased entry tickets for them with no problems. (Other hotels may do this, too). I would expect that they would charge something extra -- a small amount -- for these services. They might also get your train tickets for you.

Bottom line -- there is no scam here, just a misunderstanding.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Torre Dorada
Hotel Torre Dorada
1,558 Reviews
Cusco, Peru
aurora
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Machu Picchu

Ah yes! I guess I assumed the price was in USD. Thank you!

4. Re: Machu Picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, September 18, 2013