We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are hiking poles allowed as carry-on?

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Trinidad, Colorado
Level Contributor
45 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Are hiking poles allowed as carry-on?

I am traveling to Peru next month and need help from my fellow travelers. I have not received a straight answer from TSA about carrying on collapsable hiking poles. Has anyone had a problem with having them in their carry-on luggage?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,170 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are hiking poles allowed as carry-on?

I believe they are not allowed as carry ons.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are hiking poles allowed as carry-on?

Ski poles are specifically banned. Hiking poles are nearly identical, IMO. I think they would be confiscated by TSA.

Trinidad, Colorado
Level Contributor
45 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are hiking poles allowed as carry-on?

Thank you, looks like I will be checking my bag.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Are hiking poles allowed as carry-on?

Hiking poles can be hired prior to your trek in one of the towns you stop off at along the way. here the locals will be selling them. They are Bamboo sticks made with a textile handle for you to hold. These are the most ideal and might cost you s/30-40 soles. Hiking poles sold by agencies are normally over priced. Metal tipped poles are banned from using on any of the treks as they scratch the rocks. After you are finished using your Bamboo poles you should leave them in Aguas Calientes. Perhaps with a local and they may be able to recycle and use it again.

Hope this information was helpful. Please feel free to ask me any other questions you have.

Saludos From Peru.

Uncover Latin America.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are hiking poles allowed as carry-on?

Most metal-tipped poles have rubber tips optional to add -- they just slip over the metal tips. These are allowed on the Inca Trail. We brought our Leki poles with the extra rubber tips (brought extra sets of rubber tips in case any went missing). We did place our hiking poles in checked luggage, not carry on.

You can also rent poles in Cusco prior to your trek, either from shops or from trek providers. Some people in our trekking group rented from the trek agency, Llama Path.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are hiking poles allowed as carry-on?

I found the bamboo poles to be most ideal. Helps the locals in the area also generate an income as little as it may be. They are cheaper to buy, you won't have to return them when you are finished. Really no need to bring trekking poles with you in your luggage.

Uncover Latin America.

Trinidad, Colorado
Level Contributor
45 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are hiking poles allowed as carry-on?

Thank you for all the information. I did get a reply back from TSA and hiking poles are banned from carry-on luggage. I will consider buying a set when I get there.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are hiking poles allowed as carry-on?

Good for the info. I do not like the wood poles as you have no control over the length but as a Coloradan I am sure you know that!

But perhaps the trek agency has proper hiking poles for rental during your trip.

Cusco
Level Contributor
250 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are hiking poles allowed as carry-on?

Bamboo poles are specifically banned because locals were cutting down bamboo to sell as poles, thus destroying the local environment. They are allowed to sell wooden ones made from certain less ecologically sensitive woods.

Metal poles are specifically engineered to do a specific task, they will always beat a "stick".

And no they are not allowed as carry on luggage

Mark - Escaped to Peru/ Escaped to Latin America

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are hiking poles allowed as carry-on?

Thank you for the responsible advice Escaped to Peru.

Edited: 5:35 pm, August 28, 2012