We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi from cusco airport into cusco town

Dublin
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi from cusco airport into cusco town

Hi

I will be arriving into Cusco airport in a couple of weeks and am wondering what is a good fare for a taxi into cusco town? Just so I know if I'm being charged a fair price!

Thanks much for any advice about taxis from airport. :-)

Level Contributor
124 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi from cusco airport into cusco town

As a foreigner arriving to the Cusco airport, a taxi into town will cost anywhere between 15 to 30 soles or more. All taxi drivers will try to hustle higher fares.

When you exit the baggage claim area, you'll find a line of cars and drivers. These taxis are, on the one hand, completely overpriced, and on the other hand, completely safe. I'm not sure what they charge but it's double or more what you'll pay if you continue past these guys.

Continue past the cars and past all the transfer people holding signs and waiting for their passengers to exit. You'll receive more offers for taxis into town (usually 25 to 30 soles or more) and if you continue walking, you'll see more cars, taxis, and vans unloading people going into the airport.

These taxis in the unloading zone will offer you the best fare within the airport - anywhere between 15 and 25 soles. They'll probably want to charge more, but you can likely negotiate them down. Look for cars that have the "radio taxi" sign on top. These are the safest. You'll also see unmarked cars that also operate as taxis.

If you're really adventurous, you can walk outside the airport and get taxis for 8 to 10 soles, but this is not advisable unless your Spanish is excellent and you're a supremely confident traveler.

Getting back to the airport will be cheaper. From the historic center, anywhere from 5 to 10 soles, depending on what the driver thinks he can get :)

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,907 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi from cusco airport into cusco town

To save a couple of dollars you will have to carry your luggage at high altitude and then risk getting sick and or being mugged by a faked taxi.

Not worth it in my opinion.

Pay your 20 to 30 soles and get it over and done with.

Taxis at airports all over the world are overpriced anyway, its just the cost of travelling to a foreign country.

Saskatoon, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi from cusco airport into cusco town

Where are you staying in Cusco? Have your hotel arrange pickup for you. That way the taxi is legit. 30 soles is what you should pay.

Dublin
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi from cusco airport into cusco town

Cool thanks so 30 soles approx !So after baggage pick up taxis are safe if overpriced...safe is upmost importance!!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,907 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi from cusco airport into cusco town

Yes, maximum 30 soles.

Bargain a bit and you should be able to bring it down to 20

But, since their is no tiping for taxis in Peru, I do not think a $12 fare would make you go bankrupt.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi from cusco airport into cusco town

Check with your hotel, a lot of them offer free pickup service since the airport is so close to town.

Edited: 8:27 pm, July 26, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi from cusco airport into cusco town

Walk outside the airport and pay 5 soles.

It's so cheap, most hotels and hostels offer free pickup to and from the airport.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi from cusco airport into cusco town

If you have a tour lined up in Cuzco, they may pick you up at no cost as well. Mine did. Just ask them.....Good luck.

9. Re: Taxi from cusco airport into cusco town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 08, 2013