We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cusco-Puno /Bus transport San Luis not recomended for anyone

Fernando de...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Topic
Cusco-Puno /Bus transport San Luis not recomended for anyone

In the past week me and a group of friends traveled from Cusco to Puno. In Cusco we bought VIP tickets (with bed like seat) return ( we paid 40 Soles ). As the bus from San Luiz vip seats had broken down, they put us in a bus from other company.

In Puno we had to change a voucher for return tickets and, in this moment, a very rude funcionary gave us tickets that valued 20 Soles and said they were vip seats. What a shame, it was an ordinary bus.

They just deceived us. I won´t recommend this company to anyone.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,593 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cusco-Puno /Bus transport San Luis not recomended for anyone

Bus transport in Peru is chaotic and unsafe.

Very few bus companies are serious and respectful.

IMO only use :

Cruz del Sur

Oltursa

Ormeno

Tepsa

and similar

Niteroi, RJ
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cusco-Puno /Bus transport San Luis not recomended for anyone

I had quite the same experience that AndFernandes had. San Luis was very disrespectful with me and the 6 hour-trip was a nightmare: the bus got on the bus station 30 minutes late, the seats were very uncomfortable and I couldn't sleep as the bus stoped many times (and for a long time) to take people everywhere.

Brazil
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Cusco-Puno /Bus transport San Luis not recomended for anyone

The same thing happened to me with this company called San Luis!

They treat the tourist in very disrespectful way!

A peruvian guy that was seated next to me couldn't believe in the price that me and my friends had payed for the same tickets/seats (twice than him).

I had the same sensation of LucianaCarvalho, it was a big nightmare, people were entering all the time and I was worried about my stuff because we didn't know about the next stop.

It is necessary to remember that the bathrooms were completely dirty!

cusco
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cusco-Puno /Bus transport San Luis not recomended for anyone

Hello, Hello none of those recommended buses travel from cusco to puno. I am looking to travel from check-in-cpacabana-la paz all by bus. I do not want to take a tourist bus as we are on a very tight budget. Can anyone recommend bus companies and rough costs? We don't mind staying over night on the way to la paz. Many thanks

cusco
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cusco-Puno /Bus transport San Luis not recomended for anyone

Was supposed to say cusco...not check-in!

Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
29 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cusco-Puno /Bus transport San Luis not recomended for anyone

I agree. Been there, except for cruz del sur, and the other listed by you, all other sucks, especially San Luis. They sold me a Cruz del Sur ticket and at the bus station they put me on that bus, filthy and bathroom was unusable, something important in a 7 hour trip.

Besides, san Luis stopped many times baceuse people sent goods from the, and I kept all trip alert checking my backpack because they did not allow me to bring to the bus.

Oltursa is also fine.

Texas
Level Contributor
141 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cusco-Puno /Bus transport San Luis not recomended for anyone

I traveled from Pucallpa to Huanaco, to Hancayo, to Ayachucho, to Cusco, Puno to Aerequipa (by train) to Nazca and then to Lima back to Huanaco then Pucallpa, all by local buses with tickets bought at the bus station. Then a week on the launch to Iquitos. What a trip. It was fun and very agrevating, and I learned to have patience. Everyday was something, either the bus broke down, or cancelled, we were stuck on the side of a mountain in the middle of the night in a rain storm and had to get off the bus while the drivers argued about who would back up. Between Pucallpa and Tingo Maria, we were stopped and checked by police or military, not sure, then just a few minutes later, stopped and boarded by armed men with blue berets asking for money and food to help their cause. Then stuck in Huanaco for two days due to a festival. The best two months I have ever had traveling in Peru. This was several years ago, would do it again anytime.

8. Re: Cusco-Puno /Bus transport San Luis not recomended for anyone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 18, 2014