We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the bus from Cusco to La Paz really direct ?

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
145 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Is the bus from Cusco to La Paz really direct ?

Hello,

I'm planning to go from Cusco (after visiting Machu Picchu) to La Paz in Bolivia. I already know many people do this by bus, but I'm not sure if those buses go straight to La Paz, or if they always stop by Puno.

I'm interested to know since I will be in Puno before going to Cusco, so I would not like to go back to Puno in order to get to La Paz. I would like a non-stop bus going from Cusco to La Paz.

Do you know if such a bus line really exists ?

Thanks

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the bus from Cusco to La Paz really direct ?

You might be interested to know www.aerosur.com has flights from Cusco to La Paz. The flights are only an hour or so and only depart on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. The last I looked a one-way flight cost about $140 which is cheaper than flying between Cusco and Juliaca.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the bus from Cusco to La Paz really direct ?

As far as I know you go thru Puno.

You may not be able to buy a one way ticket into La Paz, at least not from overseas.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
120 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the bus from Cusco to La Paz really direct ?

All bus companies go through Puno as it is here they pick up a lot of passengers. So I am afraid that a small stop at the Puno bus terminal is unavoidable. Also keep in mind that overnight busses from Cusco to La Paz have to stop in Puno for an hour at least to avoid waiting at the border which only opens at 8AM. You will arrive in Puno around 5AM and the bus will wait for 1-1.5 hour before continuing to Desaguardero on the Bolivian border. The other option is Copacabana for which you will probaly have to switch busses in Puno when coming from Cusco. In any case take it as a nice quick stop, have a cup of Mate and get on the bus again for a nice ride to La Paz.

Happy Travels

Perutravelsonline

cusco
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the bus from Cusco to La Paz really direct ?

You cannot avoid Puno unless you fly.

cusco
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the bus from Cusco to La Paz really direct ?

Can anyone reccomend a bus to do the Cusco-puno-copacabana- la paz route (doesnt have to stop at both puno and copa and we can stya over night) we are looking for a relatively cheap bus- not tourist bus, please and thankyou!

Cuzco, Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the bus from Cusco to La Paz really direct ?

There are two ways to get to La Paz from Cusco.

Option 01 : Buses companies - Continental or Litoral . Both leave at 9:00 pm from the main bus station and goes directly to La Paz through desaguadero. During the bus trip you will stop twice , the first one will be in Puno because some passenger get off in Puno and the second stop will be in Desaguadero ( peruvian border). At this places you will stay for 30 minutes approximately because you will pass migrations and aduanas. You will arrive in La Paz at 2:00 pm (bolivian time)

Option 02: Bus Company : Tour Peru . This bus leaves at 9:00 pm too and you will arrive in Puno at 4:00 am and then you will spend 3 hours in Puno until to take another tour peru bus to Copacabana. The bus ride is nice and the buses are clean and mostly are full with tourist . When you arrive in Copacabana , you will have some hours to have lunch and then continue to La Paz. Arriving time ( 4:00 pm bolivian time)

I prefer to travel on option 02 because the buses are nicer and comfortable too. Also is much nicer to cross to bolivia through Copacabana than desaguadero.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the bus from Cusco to La Paz really direct ?

You do not need to book ahead with Tour Peru. In La Paz you can book there, I'm sure it will be much less on a Bolivian Bus (and Tour Peru does not operate from La Paz, I think their service is limited only as far as Copacabana.. When you arrive in Copacabana all of the busses leave at the same time from the same streets. You can shop around there in Copacabana when you arrive.

When took Tour Peru from Copacabana to Puno, it was the very last bus to leave because the driver was spending his time socializing. He tried to make up his delay by driving too fast and frequently attempting unsafe passing.

They also picked up a driver by the side of the road outside of Copacabana, and we had a boarding by the customs officials who were very interested in this particular passenger's papers. So we were delayed at the inspection station. Anyways to me this is a shady, unsafe company and even though there aren't many good choices, I would not recommend them.

Edited: 4:01 am, April 15, 2013
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the bus from Cusco to La Paz really direct ?

The 10.30pm Nuevo Continente Internacional bus from cusco to La Paz stops briefly (ie a few mins) to drop people off in Puno at around 6am and again around 8am to let off passengers for Copacabana. Arrives La Paz midday Peru time (1pm Bolivia time).

Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the bus from Cusco to La Paz really direct ?

The 10.30pm Nuevo Continente Internacional bus from Cusco to La Paz stops only briefly (ie a few mins) to drop people off in Puno at around 6am and again around 8am to let off passengers for Copacabana. Border crossing into Bolivia does take about an hour (which is unavoidable) from around 10am. Arrives La Paz midday Peru time (1pm Bolivia time).

10. Re: Is the bus from Cusco to La Paz really direct ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 18, 2014