We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cusco and Inca Trail Questions

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC
3 posts
Save Topic
Cusco and Inca Trail Questions

I am considering booking a trip through Traveland.com. Theu use a hotel in Cusco called Mabey Palacio Imperial. Can anyone tell me about this hotel. I do not know what operator they use for the hike, but if anyone else knows, I would love to hear. Finally, we will be on the trail and in Cusco in mid-January. Can anyone tell me what the weather will be like. How much rain? How cold will it be? And, now, finally, any packing tips?? Sorry for so many questions, but this is such a great thread.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,170 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cusco and Inca Trail Questions

Traveland operates from the USA, I know nothing good or bad about them.

Mabey Palacio Imperial is not known by me or shows up on Tripadvisor nor the Government Listing.

I would rather recommend you use a local travel agency like Auqui Tours or many others available.

In Jan its summer time in Peru. Cusco will have temps from 44 to 66 and 6.3 inches of rain (the highest average for the year).The SV will be between 45 and 73 degrees and MP 54 and 77. You should expect rain.

For more info on the trail see the 2nd sticky on this section.

Florida
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cusco and Inca Trail Questions

Just make sure you have enough to keep dry if your things get wet.Take an extra pair of shoes and leave them there when you are done if you don't want to carry much.It is miserable if you are wet and it does really rain at that time of year. It started raining early this year. I was just there in November with a group it rained every day. Also bring insect repellent and don't forget to travel with Wet Ones or TP in your pocket at all times. You must make all of your arrangements before you get there. Don't know that hotel or agency you are talking about. Better to stick with a known entity in Cusco.

Chicago, IL
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Cusco and Inca Trail Questions

Petenero -

We just returned from the Traveland.com trip in November and had terrible difficulties with Traveland and Peru Classic, the local operators.

Not one thing on the intinerary was set up, we had no rides, no hotel reservations, nothing.

Even after contacting both groups about our difficulties, they did not fix any of the problems and left us stranded out at Machu Picchu.

The Mabey hotel is a decent place, the workers are very helpful. It is not located in the main tourist area near the main plaza, so getting back at night requires a taxi.

I would strongly advise against using Traveland, they have been nothing but a problem.

Raahe, Finland
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Cusco and Inca Trail Questions

Hello,

This message comes too late for your trip to Cusco, but I stayed in Mabey Palacio Imperial Hotel in Cusco with my husband last August and I can recommend this hotel to anyone.

The rooms are clean, big, beautiful and cosy with colour TV and telephone, and the bathroom is great. We even had two double beds! The breakfast was buffet with lots to choose from. And the staff is very friendly and helpful, and english-speaking. Also, there is a PC with Internet connections in the downstairs bar/caf�� for guests. The hotel is located about 5-minute walk from the main street and about 10 to 15-minute walk from the center of Cusco in a quieter neighbourhood.

5. Re: Cusco and Inca Trail Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:42 am, February 24, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cusco and Inca Trail Questions

Any other feedback on Traveland.com? I am thinking of booking with them as well, as the price is really good - did they deliver as they promised?

eis
New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cusco and Inca Trail Questions

How did your experience with Traveland.com go? We are considering booking a Peru trip with them for next Jan.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cusco and Inca Trail Questions

My friend and I went on the Inca's Legacy Package through Traveland.com and we had a great experience. We went during April 2006 (Spring Break), which is the best time from what we've heard from friends that have gone. On the first day, we stayed at the Hotel Carrera Las Americas, which was an okay place. I wouldn't suggest walking around there at night. The beds were lumpy, but it was just for one night. During the time we were in Cusco, we stayed at the Hotel Carrera Las Americas, which was awesome. The rooms were very clean, comfortable beds, and a good size bathroom. We had a television in our room and a nice view of the hills. The hotel was further than some to the main part of Cusco, but taxis were so cheap ($3 USD), we didn't care. When you stay at the Hotel Carrera Las Americas be sure to eat breakfast everyday. The breakfast was delicious and drink lots of orange juice (fresh squeezed). If you don't feel like going out to grab a bite to eat, I RECOMMEND their room service. Get the filet mignon ($10 USD) or their fried chicken and papas fritas ($7 USD) it's DELICIOUS! The service at the hotel was exceptional, we had our beds made everyday with new towels. On one of the days, we couldn't eat breakfast in the main hall because the Peruvian soccer team was there, so they brought the breakfast to us without charge! They brought us everything we wanted and more! The hotel concierge is very hospitable and every day we were greeted with a warming smile. If you decide to get a massage, I would say wait and get one back in the States. My friend and I got our massage in our hotel room ($45 USD per person for an hour), we thought it was very random and made us feel more tense . The massage was random and at times the person would stop and do their own thing. Not worth the $45 bucks. While we were in Machu Picchu, we stayed in Aguas Calientes and stayed at the Presidente Hotel in Aguas Calientes. It was a very quaint and comfy hostel like atmosphere. We were very lucky and had a room with the view of the river and mountains. It was gorgeous!

During the duration of the trip, my friend and I brought our backpacks from our Euro trip. I would suggest comfortable shoes because there will be a lot of walking and good hiking boots if you plan to hike up Wayna Picchu (very wet stoned pathway). We also brought windbreakers just in case it rained. Check the weather forecast on yahoo.com. For the days we were going it showed thunder showers, but luckily it didn't rain those day just a little drizzle, but that added to the appeal of Machu Picchu. If you are planning on going on the same Traveland package bring a duffle bag so you will not need to bring your luggage for the train ride up to Aguas Calientes.

Personally, my friend and I and the people we met on the tour were VERY SATISFIED with our package for the price! We all talked about it and plan to use them for other Latin America vacations. I am currently using Traveland for my trip to Belize. I travel a lot and look for the best deals and so far, if you don't mind less luxurious hotels and are looking for a good deal and lots of leisure time go for Traveland.