We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuzco and the Amazons

california
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Cuzco and the Amazons

My family and I have been wanting to visit Machu Picchu and the Amazon Rainforest for a couple of years. Now we really want to do it. My 2 sons are 12 and 7. We are available to go either in March or July 2008.

Does anyone have any suggestions which month do you think is the best? Does anyone recommend a good package that we can use? My son would love to spend the night at the Machu Picchu hotel. I've heard is expensive but I think is worth it.

Your help will be greatly appreciate it.

austin, texas
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cuzco and the Amazons

As far as lodgings for MP, I would stay at the Inkaterra Pueblo in

Aguas Calientes and NOT at the MP Sanctuary. You cannot

see MP from the MP Santcuary hotel and you do not get any special access to MP from that hotel. But, they like to make you think you can and will charge more than $700 per night for that mistaken belief.

For the Amazon, I recommend looking into Ceiba Tops, an Explorama Lodge outside of Iquitos. There were many families with children when we were there and all seemed to be having a great time. Also, this lodge will make reasonable efforts to prepare food that kids will eat--otherwise, this can be a huge problem considering the limited resources in the Rainforest.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cuzco and the Amazons

If you go to the Iquitos Amazon area, it means you need to fly back to Lima (from Cusco) and then fly to Iquitos.

If you choose to visit the Puerto Maldonado jungle area, you can fly from Cusco airport.

Check Inkaterra for lodges, they are the same owners as the El Pueblo hotel in Aguas Calientes.

I would choose the above hotel over the Sanctuary Lodge. Its very expensive and you do not get any extras like visiting MP after hrs.

austin, texas
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cuzco and the Amazons

For your "Amazon" choice, you really have to decide if you want to see and be on the actual Amazon RIVER or if you are okay with being in the Amazon BASIN. To be on the river, you need to go to Iquitos. Otherwise, there are are other options closer to Cusco for seeing rainforests in the basin area.

Colorado
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cuzco and the Amazons

WIldlife viewing is actually better in the Tambopata area near Puerto Maldonado and in Manu than it is near Iquitos. I would recommend either Manu or Tambopata as great destinations you can easily reach from Cusco. In Tambopata check out Rainforest Expeditions, and in Manu check out Inkanatura Travel. Both are great companies.

I definitley agree that it is not worth it to stay at the Sanctuary Lodge at Machu Picchu. Very expensive and not worth it. The Machu PIcchu Pueblo is a great hotel, though.

I would go in July over March. July is quite busy, but the weather is generally better than March. March is still the rainy season and you may not see as much due to clouds and mist.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cuzco and the Amazons

I stayed in ecoamazonia lodge on amazon river and it was fantastic . The sunset was grt and nice views . They pick you up frm Puerto Maldonado airport and you can store yr luggage at their office and then it is 2 hrs ride by boat to lodge ( which was v nice ) .

austin, texas
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cuzco and the Amazons

Despite the comment above, lodges in Puerto Maldonado are not on--or even near--the Amazon River. Again, that may not matter to you. But, you should make your decision with correct information.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cuzco and the Amazons

yes jonahleon is right and ecoamazonia is on Madre de Dios river-and not amazon river but i really enjoyed the lodge( great setting and food was delicious ).

california
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cuzco and the Amazons

Great tips! I decided to go on July instead of March. It will give me more time to spend with my sons. I appreciate all your comments in terms of hotels in Machu Picchu.

In order to visit the Amazons. My sons are interested to see some wildlife just like looking at the books. My son is in first grade and he will be studying about the rainforest later on in the year.

I appreciate more comments. What a dissapointment on the Machu Picchu hotel!! I heard it is ver expensive but you all agree that is does not provide more benefits or access to MP after hours or even the view.

Thanks but if you have more suggestions, they are appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cuzco and the Amazons

The eco amazonia lodge is opposite monkey island which has 5 types of monkies and the guide frm lodge take you on tour to island there by canoe and show you the monkeys ( The guide take bananas and monkeys knows the guides ) Next day the guide also takes you trailing in the forest ( 12-15 km) and shows you all the trees ( details ) till we reach the lake which has few wildlife . we climbed the tree hse and could see the canopy of forest . Early evening they showed us the botanical gardens ( i really enjoyed that as i am keen on plants )

the lodge has parrots and few animals of it own .There was a talking parrot called Diana .

There are similiar different lodges in area ...(probably doing same thing )

one warning is that although this lodges have mesh inside the rooms occasional bug does get in while getting in room so make sure u do apply bit deet at night as i did get bitten at night .

About MP i stayed in hotel in Angus calientes and went early morning bus ( 5.30 am ) to MP which is 30 mins ride with grt scenery ( the sunrise is grt in MP)

There are many hotels in Angus calientes and there is straight train frm cusco to Angus Calientes ( 4 hrs ride ).

There is spa in AG nothing grt but the view frm there is lovely .

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cuzco and the Amazons

Please note that Puerto Maldonado jungle is secondary jungle and not primary like Manu . But i was with tour and Puerto Maldonado jungle was more nearer Cusco so more convienient for travelling and seeing Peru .